Rovio’s Puzzle Studio has their sights set on becoming the most successful casual puzzle game studio in the world. Exploring new and emerging trends in puzzle games, the studio has built a deep understanding of the puzzle genre and its players since its founding in 2014. The studio has introduced innovations in puzzle game core with the free-flowing Angry Birds Dream Blast, and the narrative-driven Small Town Murders, as well as providing players with exciting new content and events in fan-favorite games such as Angry Birds Friends. With their games, Puzzle Studio aims to create a true emotional connection that stays with players even when they’re not playing.
We are now seeking a motivated and collaborative Narrative Designer Trainee to join our flock at the Puzzle Studio for the 2021 summer in Espoo, Finland.
As a trainee, you will join a world-class design department and learn the ins and outs of narrative design from international experts, including how to tailor content for massive audiences and the art of weaving story with gameplay. In this role, you will help maintain and improve the creative vision of an upcoming Rovio game while actively participating in multiple stages of a professional game content production pipeline.
- Support narrative designers, game designers, and writers in their daily tasks such as: actively engaging in team narrative design meetings and brainstorms, growing and documenting narrative worlds to help artists and designers assure consistency and quality, helping to prepare story content for implementation in the game engine
- Provide well-considered, honest, and helpful feedback on characters, storylines, and quests
- Help to interpret and analyze player data as it relates to the story and places where the narrative intersects with game design
Who we think will do great in this role has:
- Interest in interacting and communicating within a multidisciplinary environment
- The ability to communicate your best ideas to a group, and to let them go when appropriate
- The ability to provide and absorb substantive feedback
- An interest in mobile games
- The ability to show passion while creating game experiences for an audience different than themselves
- High consumption and understanding of modern entertainment across film, television, and games
- A strong command of the English language
We’d love if you have:
- Progress towards or degree in a related field or shipped at least one game
- Completed independent game projects or game mods in a game design or narrative role
- Experience with Unity or other game engines
- Experience working with a development team
- Interest in the science and structure of storytelling
- Interest in low fidelity storytelling methods and communicating narrative without words
- Questionnaire: You will receive a multiple-choice questionnaire that will test your understanding of the narrative design craft. The questionnaire will be sent after the application deadline.
- Written Test: You will complete a written exercise that will help us evaluate your communication and game analysis skills.
- First meeting: You will meet the hiring manager, helping us discover who you are and what motivates you. This is also an opportunity for you to learn more about Rovio and the specifics of the role.
- Final round: You will be invited to meet the design director and lead designer of the game team you would be joining, helping us discover how you would fit with our working culture, your ambitions, and where we can help you develop.
If you’re interested, we look forward to hearing from you soon! Please send us your CV and cover letter by 18 February 2021 (if you have a portfolio, great! Please send us the link or attach it with the application).
Refer to the Trainee FAQ
for any questions you may have. If you have other questions, send us an email to recruitment(at)rovio.com. We don't accept applications sent to this email address.
Note: The duration of this position is from 3 to 5 months usually from May to September, full-time. Depending on the candidate's availability and the team's needs, start date and duration vary. We don’t provide relocation assistance or support in acquiring a work visa if you’re from abroad. You can learn more about the traineeship experience here