Makita is a worldwide leader in the professional power tool industry. Over the past 100 years we've built a reputation for using the finest raw materials, the most advanced manufacturing equipment, and the most rigorous quality testing in the industry. Headquartered in La Mirada, CA, Makita U.S.A, with offices in Chicago, Illinois, Wilmer, Texas and Buford, Georgia, has been bringing Makita's best-in-class engineering advantage to professional power tool users in America since 1970.
Summary: Responsible for maintaining and expanding sales with the largest farm and ranch national retailer through direct sales. While overseeing the development of sales revenue and account base and for promoting Makita’s “Best-In-Class Engineering & Innovation” brand position and the extensive Makita product line.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: (and additional duties-as assigned)
- Responsible for all functions related to developing, maintaining and growing Makita account, other potential National account customers engaged in construction supply business to ensure maximum revenues through account penetration.
- Travel throughout nation to conduct Makita business; including occasional travel outside of the region for corporate meetings or other functions. Overnight travel required.
- Display and demonstrate Makita products including performing Makita product knowledge sessions for dealers and other audiences.
- Provide expertise and support regarding pricing, quoting, credit terms, MAP Policy, orders and many other sales support and account management functions.
- Perform business reporting functions, such as, but not limited to, sales reports, account update reports, monthly reports, call reports, expense reports, mileage reports and other reports as needed.
- Present, execute and administer Corporate Sales Programs including co-op, trade agreement, rebate, strategic initiates, and promotions along with other corporate programs as needed.
- Provide input to the Marketing Department and properly utilize and distribute the Makita marketing department collateral materials, including, but not limited to, catalogs, lecture, brochures, campaigns and Point of Purchase materials.
- Coordinate, schedule, and execute customer support events, including, but not limited to, product knowledge training, product demonstration, national contractor training, shows and events, and joint sales calls.
- Manage co-op and/or advertising budgets for each eligible account.
- Create and execute strategic sales growth plans and proposals for national accounts and the region, as needed, (i.e. monthly, quarterly, or annually).
- Support the Makita accounting department as needed, including, but not limited to, new account set up, credit applications, credit limits, credit balances and proper communications with the Account Receivable team regarding exceptions.
- Develop and continually strengthen professional relationships within all entities, internal and external, involved in our business, such as, dealer sales staff, management staff, purchasing, ownerships, including appropriate end-user key contacts and decision makers.
- Investigates and resolves customer issues and concerns.
- Stay abreast of market conductions, changes and competitor activities within the industry and territory, and communicate findings internally.
- Be cognizant of other Makita’s divisions such as manufacturing and assembly, National Industrial MRO, government/GSA, Outdoor Power Equipment (OPE), Big-Box retail, including all other divisions.
- Understand and execute a solutions base sales approach.
- Support Industrial Sales & Makita National Accounts.
- Organize & provide product and technical equipment training to rental accounts where/when needed.
- Schedule account meetings, Sales update meetings, and any other meetings as required. Meetings must be conducted in a professional manner that includes written agenda, power point presentations, and sales figures, etc.
- Maintain and control Makita’s assets and their records, such as vehicles, demo tools, marketing materials, product samples, etc.
- Perform all company functions per federal, state and municipal laws and per company policies.
Competencies - To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Analytical - Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data; Designs work flows and procedures.
- Design - Generates creative solutions; Translates concepts and information into images; Uses feedback to modify designs; Demonstrates attention to detail.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Project Management - Develops project plans; Coordinates projects; Communicates changes and progress; Completes projects on time and budget; Manages project team activities.
- Technical Skills - Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
- Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
- Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; Very strong Listening Skills; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Teamwork - Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
- Visionary Leadership - Displays passion and optimism; Inspires respect and trust; mobilizes others to fulfill the vision.
- Change Management - Develops workable implementation plans; Communicates changes effectively; Builds commitment and overcomes resistance; Prepares and supports those affected by change; Monitors transition and evaluates results.
- Leadership - Exhibits confidence in self and others; Inspires and motivates others to perform well; effectively influences actions and opinions of others.
- Quality Management - Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Business Acumen - Understands business implications of decisions; Displays orientation to profitability; Demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; Aligns work with strategic goals.
- Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; Develops and implements cost saving measures; Conserves organizational resources.
- Diversity - Demonstrates knowledge of EEO policy; Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; educates others on the value of diversity; promotes a harassment-free environment; Builds a diverse workforce.
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; Supports affirmative action and respects diversity.
- Strategic Thinking - Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; Understands organization's strengths & weaknesses; Understand and support SWOT analysis, Adapts strategy to changing conditions.
- Judgement - Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
- Motivation - Sets and achieves challenging goals; Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; Measures self against standard of excellence; Takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Develops realistic action plans.
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Quantity - Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works quickly.
- Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; Reports potentially unsafe conditions.
- Adaptability - Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Initiative - Undertakes self-development activities; Seeks increased responsibilities; Takes independent actions and calculated risks; Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities.
- Innovation - Meets challenges with resourcefulness; Generates suggestions for improving work; Develops innovative approaches and ideas; Presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others' attention.
Qualifications - To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education and/or Experience: Four year college or university program certificate; or four years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Mathematical Skills: Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Computer Skills: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Microsoft Outlook Contact Management systems; Makita Employee Portal; Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet software, Microsoft PowerPoint, and Microsoft Word Processing software.
Physical Demands - The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance.
- The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- The employee must be able to safely operate a moving vehicle per our company policy.
Work Environment - The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places and outside weather conditions.
- The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles; risk of electrical shock and vibration.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Equal Opportunity Statement
The Company is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. Company policy prohibits discrimination based on race, color, creed, sex, religion, marital status, age, gender, national origin, ancestry, physical disability (including HIV and AIDS), mental disability, veteran status, military service, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, genetic information, medical (including genetic characteristics or cancer diagnosis), actual or perceived sexual orientation, or any consideration protected by federal, state or local laws. All such discrimination is prohibited. Additionally, the Company will provide registered domestic partners with all rights and benefits as required by Law. The Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act of 2008 (GINA) prohibits employers from requesting or requiring genetic information of an individual or family member of the individual. The Company is committed to complying with all applicable laws providing equal employment opportunities.