GumGum is a global technology and media company specializing in contextual intelligence. For over a decade, we have applied our proven machine learning expertise to extract value from digital content for the advertising industry. The company’s contextual advertising engine, Verity™, comprehends the meaning of text, images and video online, allowing marketers to safely and precisely place ads where people are most engaged. Combining that contextual targeting and brand safety intelligence with proprietary high-impact ad formats, GumGum’s advertising solutions deliver industry leading efficiency, accuracy and performance.
The Natural Language Processing (NLP) Scientist is a key member that will be working on Verity within the larger combined Computer Vision (CV) / NLP team in Santa Monica. On a day-to-day basis, this role operates as a member of the applied research and development team. The focus will be to develop and enhance both Machine Learning tasks and deep learning NLP models to provide continued insights such that GumGum remains at the forefront of identifying brand safety content along with contextual understanding.
Engineering team members at GumGum are encouraged to share ideas which can often influence product decisions. The person in this role will need to stay relevant and up to date with state-of-the-art technology. Behind the scenes, the NLP scientist will be working with large datasets at the scale of millions of web pages so it is important that the person in this role is comfortable working with distributed computing in a highly scalable, cloud-based environment. Some key areas of interest that the team has worked on include multilingual problems such as Extreme Text Classification, Sentiment Analysis, and Named Entity Recognition.
The NLP role works within a large cross functional team that involves collaborating with our CV team to work on multimodal solutions and our Machine Learning Engineering (MLE) team on projects related to our CI/CD environments. The person in this role will make a significant impact on Verity’s product offerings which will be key to generating revenue streams for the business.
****Please note we are working from home until September 2021
- Utilize DL (Deep Learning) frameworks like Pytorch or Tensorflow to build and train neural models for NLP tasks
- Perform hands-on Machine Learning tasks and statistical analyses in Python
- Own projects from their inception to production release (and beyond)
- Write efficient, clean, documented, scalable and maintainable Python code following the Object Oriented Paradigms and Design Patterns.
- Take ownership of NLP projects and products alongside the rest of the NLP team members
- Support the MLE Team in maintaining the production environment and resolving production issues.
- Collaborate regularly with cross-functional teams (MLE, CV, Product) to build upon existing products, brainstorm creative solutions for new products, and to share technical learnings with each other
- Enhance existing solutions including code refactoring to optimize for performance, reliability, efficiency, and scalability
- Write and maintain clean and modular code to deploy in production environment
- MS or PhD in Natural Language Processing, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Applied Mathematics or Physics, Machine Learning or a related technical field
- 2+ years Professional Experience in NLP and Machine Learning
- Experience working on various NLP projects like Text Classification, Named Entity Recognition, Sentiment Analysis, Topic Modeling, Machine Translation, Natural Language Inference, Keyword Extraction etc.
- Experience in utilizing DL concepts and architectures for NLP such as RNN(Recurrent Neural Networks, LSTMs (Long-Short Term Memory), Transformers, BERT (Bidirectional Encoder Representations from Transformers), Seq2Seq models etc.
- Experience in working with databases such as MySQL.
- Experience with AWS ecosystem preferred
- Experience with CPU/GPU optimization preferred
- Strong program fluency in Python and SQL
- Proficient using libraries such as Pandas, Gensim, Scikit Learn and Numpy.
- Proficient with data visualization tools and libraries such as plotly, matplotlib.
- Proficient in Software Development, Object Oriented Paradigms and Design Patterns
- Good understanding of Statistical Concepts such as A/B Testing, p-values, bootstrapping etc.
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive health, vision and dental benefits
- Healthcare including 100% coverage for Employee + Spouse/family
- Dependent care FSA
- Employer-matched 401(k) plan
- Stock incentive program (role dependent)
- Paid parental leave
- Goodly - student loan contribution plan
- WFH monthly stipend
- Anniversary recognition and awards
- Fitness reimbursement and wellness workshops
- Discounted Pet Health Program
- Flexible time off and work schedule
- Stocked kitchen & Everytable Smartfridge
- Dog-friendly HQ office - we love our fur babies! Check us out on Instagram @dogsofgumgum
- Incredible work/life balance with a collaborative and friendly work space
- GumGum Gives Back volunteering opportunities
- Team building lunches and events, and monthly company celebrations
- Virtual monthly team bonding events
Career & Development Focus
- Ongoing learning and development for education opportunities such as webinars, books, classes, relevant conferences and events
- Opportunities to pursue business related side projects and yearly Hackathon
- Highly encouraged to contribute to open source software, including our own open source software
- Environment of learning from peers, including meetups, presentations and blog posts
- Opportunity to work with cutting edge technology
- Life Skills sessions - geared towards the whole life/ health / person
- Leadership Bites Dinner Series - connecting current and future GumGum leaders over great food and meaningful conversation
Stride - our company council committee to share learnings, give updates and provide feedback to the company regarding initiatives and discussions around diversity, inclusion and equity.
Thoughtful…We listen to understand different perspectives, show everyone respect, and relentlessly seek solutions for our clients (internal and external)
Agility…We are quick, nimble, and change direction gracefully, while maintaining control.
Grit…We bring energy and perseverance to everything we do.
GumGum recently earned LA’s Best Places to Work Award in 2021 by BuiltInLA, and Inc. Magazine’s Best Places to Work in 2020 and it’s no surprise why. With company-sponsored social hours, annual holiday celebrations and on-site gatherings, GumGummers enjoy a fun, creative and collaborative workplace. We provide ourselves on our strong track record of giving employees the autonomy and support they need to succeed.
Check us out on Instagram: @gumgum