ABOUT KHAN LAB SCHOOL
Khan Lab School (KLS) is an independent lab school located in Mountain View, California. It is a start-up school founded in 2014 with the goal of testing and documenting practices that push thinking around what school could be and what young people are capable of. Many of the core principles and ideas to be developed and tested in the school are outlined in Salman Khan’s book The One World Schoolhouse: Education Reimagined.
In the fall of 2016, KLS will serve 95 students ages 5-14. Our teachers provide small group or one-on-one mentorship for a self paced, mastery-based curriculum, and co-create applied learning experiences for students. We believe that children should have ownership of their learning and we give children the freedom to make mistakes, fail, iterate, and find satisfaction in the quest for learning itself.
The mission of the school is to develop fully empowered future citizens by pioneering models that put the learner at the center of the education experience.
Our Core Values are:
- We believe learning is not bound by time or space.
- We use a variety of tools to create a holistic, real-time view of each child.
- Feedback from all stakeholders is used to continuously improve on the school model.
- The entire community is part of our learning environment that we learn from and contribute to.
- We surround students with the resources and time for them to fully actualize their interests and ambitions.
The Office Administrator (Front Office) / Executive Assistant is a hybrid role. The position is based on 40 hours of work per week with distribution of hours per day and presence in school office to be coordinated and approved by Executive Director.
OFFICE ADMINISTRATOR (FRONT OFFICE) RESPONSIBILITIES
- The primary goal is to effectively and efficiently manage the lobby and greeting area of the school while maintaining professional standards.
- Interacts with administrative employees, teaching staff, students, customers, and outside services as smoothly as possible.
- Makes appointments, manages schedules, directs customers to proper locations, and, if necessary, takes and processes payments.
- Receives mail, fax, and email, answers phones, orders supplies, handles maintenance procedures, and manages the efforts of other employees.
- Performs clerical duties such as data entry, inventory, and other paperwork.
- Processes accounts receivable and payable as well as performs bank reconciliations.
- Supports fundraising committee.
- Maintains databases, files, and records necessary for the preparation, monitoring and review of the budget and audit.
- Plans, coordinates, and directs a broad range of services, that allow the organization to operate efficiently and promote the school’s mission.
EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides executive support in a one-on-one working relationship.
- Serves as the primary point of contact for internal and external constituencies on all matters pertaining to the Office of the Executive Director.
- Serves as a liaison to the board of directors and senior management teams.
- Organizes and coordinates executive outreach and external relations efforts; and oversees special projects.
Full job description can be found here.
- Associate degree in business or secretarial science (two-year program)
- 3+ years of experience in administrative positions in a corporate setting
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office and advanced Excel skills required
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (English as a first language)
- High level of professionalism, confidentiality, and exemplary interpersonal skills
- Extremely organized with meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to pinpoint problems and find creative solutions
- Strong business acumen and extensive calendar management experience (Google Calendar and iCal specifically)
- High level of initiative with strong sense of urgency and flexibility
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial, and dynamic environment
- Commitment to continuous improvement
- Entrepreneurial mindset and customer service orientation
- Flexibility. A LOT of flexibility. We are in startup mode, so every aspect of the Lab School is subject to change.
- Equal parts self-starter and team player
- Passion for connecting and influencing people to drive towards a shared business goal
VERY NICE TO HAVES:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience in a multicultural school environment
- Multilingual and international experience
- Knowledge of international protocol desirable
- Experience arranging executive travel, both within the US and internationally
- Human resources management experience
- Bookkeeping and accounting experience
- Competitive compensation commensurate with experience
- Health, dental, and vision benefits
- 401(k) with matching
- Free lunch and snacks
- Khan Lab School tuition discount of up to 80%
SPECIAL SCHOOL EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS
All Khan Lab School employees must undergo criminal background checks and TB risk assessments as mandated by California state law and permitted by New York state law prior to their start dates at Khan Lab School. By submitting an application, you acknowledge that your employment with Khan Lab School would be conditioned on satisfactory background check and completion of the TB risk assessment.
Please be aware that while Khan Lab School is able to facilitate transfers for certain types of work visas, we are also planning to offer original visa sponsorship. Please apply if you'd like to be considered for the role.
HOW TO APPLY
To be considered for this role, you must submit an online application. Please submit a cover letter that explains why you would be a great fit for this role along with your resume.