CannonDesign has an exciting opportunity for an Office Engineering Leader based in our Chicago, IL office. Take a look at the description below. If you think your skills and experience make you a good match for this position, we’d love to hear from you. We’re looking for creative, curious, empathetic people to join our Living-Centered Design movement.
ABOUT OUR FIRM
CannonDesign is an integrated design solutions firm focused on helping people continuously flourish. Whether designing for innovations in health, new scientific discoveries, equity in education or the next big idea in business, we use our Living-Centered Design approach to help organizations realize widespread change. Our ability to design transformational places, plans and strategies is why Fast Company named us a World Changing Company and one of the most innovative design firms in the world.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Office Engineering Leader will work in partnership with Office Practice Leader (OPL) and Office Business Practice Leader (BPL) and other firm leaders to develop, support and implement key practice initiatives that advance an innovative engineering practice in line with the firm’s strategic plan.
The Chicago Office has the following unique characteristics:
- This is the largest office in the firm with over 200 technical A/E/I and consulting staff serving all markets.
- Many firmwide leaders reside in the Chicago office with both local and national clients.
- A full multi-disciplinary engineering team of 40 people in place and operating effectively.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
Discipline and Practice Leadership: Focus on the benefits and value of truly integrated design, reinforce cross collaboration of disciplines, discuss and generate new ideas and innovative approaches that differentiate CannonDesign and help solve our client’s greatest challenges.
- Implementation of Business Plan: Responsible for the development and implementation of the firm wide business plan in the Chicago office, including key strategies developed by and with the National Market Directors and the Chicago Leadership Team.
- Responsible for engaging office and market leaders to participate in the process, take ownership, communicate and champion the initiatives set forth.
- Drive collaboration and integration to obtain successful results including the quality of the design work, process improvement, innovation and profit goals. Facilitate and maintain a regular rhythm of proactive internal communication amongst the disciplines within your office.
- Ensure adherence to discipline design standards, unify firm wide deliverable consistency, and promote continuous improvement toward industry best practices. The visibility, profile and reputation of the firm, its leaders and all CannonDesign employees are of the utmost importance.
- Be a strong voice for the Engineering practice. Promote the firm and our work. Office Engineering Leaders shall anticipate writing one externally published article and speaking at one event per year at a minimum. SOELs hall actively participate in at least one professional society related to their field.
- Develop and execute a plan to have regular (at least monthly) internal and external marketing outreach (emails, newsletters, jive site, website, social media, etc.) in collaboration with the Marketing and Communication department.
- Lead resolution of potential discipline specific issues involving clients, team performance, design matters, etc. recommending solutions and engaging in conflict resolution. Coordinate with other senior leaders as required.
- Serve as a Client Leader when appropriate and as a subject matter expert to win work and assist other teams in winning work.
- Engage in efforts to expand our prime engineering practice in addition to our traditional integrated A/E practice.
Staff Management and Development: Lead by example. Mentoring and growing emerging professionals is an important responsibility for all leaders at CannonDesign. Assist in establishing an environment that exemplifies leadership, integrity, humility, respect and responsibility, along with collaboration, experimentation, innovation, quality, creativity, and entrepreneurship. Be a strong proponent of interdisciplinary design integration.
- Work with Office Engineering Leaders (OELs) and Office Discipline Leaders (ODLs) relative to staffing, skills assessment, recruitment and professional development to help develop high performance teams.
ABOUT YOUR QUALIFICATIONS
- Qualified candidates must have a Bachelor degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Structural Engineering, or Architectural Engineering.
- Minimum 10 years of relevant experience and PE or SE in the United States is required.
- Broad knowledge of engineering building systems and integrated/sustainable design.
- Outstanding organization, multi-tasking, and time management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Willingness to travel and work overtime.
ABOUT WORKING HERE
- We are relentless in our pursuit of client adoration (not simply satisfaction). Consistent delivery of the best service is what we are about.
- We are committed to ensuring our practice is equitable for all employees, representative of the communities around us – and focused on the future of design. We advocate for equity, diversity, and inclusion efforts through the leadership of our DEI Council, Employee Resource Groups and other community advocacy initiatives.
- We’re about communication and transparency here. If you want to talk to someone about an idea you have, or a challenge that needs addressing, we’re ready for you.
Please note that candidates can only apply to our positions on our company Careers site. It's not uncommon for scammers to create positions that look legitimate on other sites; never enter your information or apply for CannonDesign positions on any platform. Should an issue arise that you feel we should be aware of, please contact us. Please provide your resume and portfolio when applying.
As a condition of employment, all employees are expected to complete mandatory training, including compliance training, within required timeframes and adhere to our internal policies and our Code of Conduct.
CannonDesign recognizes the value of diversity in our workforce. We are committed to equal opportunity. We consider all qualified employment applicants without regard to race, religion, color, gender, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, partnership status, protected veteran status, disability, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. Individuals who hold legal work authorization applicable to employment at CannonDesign in the United States will be considered without regard to citizenship/alienage.