Help us make a big green dent in the universe. We're on a mission to drive the global renewable energy revolution, and we need loads more people to help us make our vision a reality.
Location: Remote with regular travel (must be able to travel to or be in Slough / SE 2-4 days a week over the first few months)
We believe energy should be better - for you and the environment.
We’re spearheading the transition to greener, cheaper energy through the installation of in-home technologies; from smart meters and electric car chargers, to low carbon heating, home batteries, solar, and beyond. Utilising Octopus’ awesome tech power, we deliver smart energy solutions for our customers.
As the face of the company, our diverse, industry-leading field force delivers the same outrageous experience Octopus customers love and expect.
Find out more about where we come from and what makes us tick from our CEO, John HERE
We also proudly enjoy a 5-star TrustPilot ranking from our customers. We were named the Company that’s done the most in the past year to advance UK renewables at the REA Awards 2019, and most recently, our proudest award, that of Best Company to Work For. Our group includes Octopus Energy, Octopus for Business, Kraken Technology, Octopus Electric Vehicles and as well as our new net zero Centre - Octopus Centre for Net Zero.
We recently secured over £500 million of investment from Origin, Australia's largest Energy Company and Tokyo Gas, to help us continue our mission.
At Octopus Energy Services we are executing phenomenal growth plans to bring low carbon heating to customers homes. We are building a UK-wide team of engineers that will inspire our customers and give them the tools to fight climate change.
Engaging and motivating our engineering teams is key to success so we need an awesome, highly motivated people leader to drive the day to day running of the team. If you think you have what it takes, read on...
What you'll do
- You'll lead and inspire multiple crews of awesome engineers to deliver truly epic customer experiences, maybe 50, maybe 200+You’ll support our Recruiters and our Talent Team in bringing the very best people into our business, designing and creating the team from the beginning
- You’ll ensure that our people have all the necessary skills, support, mentoring and equipment to consistently do an excellent job. You’ll design the requirements and work with suppliers and experts to get these in place
- You’ll be instrumental in designing the processes and ways of working for our engineers to deliver an epic customer experience
- You’ll inspire and motivate the team to be part of our zero carbon journey, encouraging creativity and challenge to make things better and more efficient
- You’ll coach your team to help awesome people be more awesome, and you’ll create a working environment that enables engineers to excel, grow and develop
- You’ll support the Head of Operations for Low Carbon Heating in delivering business strategy, building the team, delivering projects and driving superb team performance and customer service
- You’ll support the Technical assurance team in delivering quality installations and support relevant accreditation requirements and visits out in the field
- You’ll ensure customers have awesome experiences and, if anything goes wrong, do whatever it takes to make things right, meeting the customer face to face where appropriate
What you'll need
- You must have experience leading and inspiring people in operational field and engineering roles to deliver epic customer service
- You must have demonstrable experience of leading teams of between 50-200+ engineers and in a field based environment, either out on site or in customers homes
- You must have relevant industry experience, certainly in utilities and preferably in the energy / low carbon / heating / renewables / smart metering space
- Ideally you will have an understanding of heating systems and/or the heating industry
- You must be a confident and experienced leader who can hit the ground running and start to deliver quickly and in a lean environment, happy deliver tasks at every end of the spectrum - big and small
- You’ll be organised, cool headed and have and resilience that allows you to be calm under pressure
- You’ll be someone who builds your network quickly and collaborates with them to deliver at speed, with a focus on quality, safety and customer experience
- You’ll have awesome people skills, a keen eye to detail and the ability to think creatively
- You’ll be proactive, anticipating the needs of customers, your team and your colleagues and you will be productive in the way you work
- You’ll be happy to travel, visiting engineers on site, supporting engineers through their training and onboarding in Slough, meeting with customers and interacting with partners and suppliers
- You’ll have a drive to innovate and be excited to do things differently
- You’ll be passionate about energy efficiency and the fight against climate change
- You’ll be curious and excited to learn and grow
Why else you'll love it here
Our company culture - we won best company to work for in 2019 and our CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
Flexible working environment - genuine work life balance here, we are in the top 5 companies in the UK, we treat you as a human, and do our best to make work and life merge smoothly together
Relaxation - we don’t count your holidays here, we work hard, and so we know you need to play hard as well (within reason of course)
Equity Options Scheme - you own your own part of the business, share options in the whole Octopus Energy Group so we all work together towards success
Office culture - have a certain tech requirement? We’ll do our best to get it. Our offices are also stocked with fruit, breakfast, great coffee and soft drinks. Weekly on a Friday we all get together (this happens virtually too) for company updates and drinks - we call it Family Dinner
Social Events - we sponsor YeoValley’s summer festival, valleyfest, every year for our big offsite Summer party (we take our kids too) and we also aim to have 3 parties a year
Parents - get access to tax free childcare and maternity and paternity pay. We’re always looking for new ways to support parents, during lockdown we created OctoKids TV to help keep your kids occupied and entertained
Your development is important - we support and help with development including internal and external courses, learning, study support etc, all bespoke to you
SmartPension Scheme - employer 5% employee 3% and you can contribute more
Cycle to Work Scheme - to help lower your carbon footprint whilst good for your healthWe also have access to the EV Salary Sacrifice Scheme - if you want to get an EV!
This is the chance to join one of the UK’s most exciting start-ups. If this sounds exciting to you and you have a genuine passion for what we're doing then we'd love to hear from you.
If this all sounds like you then we'd love to hear from you.
At Octopus, we're looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, a diverse and inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone. You are welcome to apply no matter your race, gender identity, sexuality, age, family or civil status, disability, religion, or ethnicity.