Uber ATC is seeking a Senior Optical Engineer to lead the development of optimized solutions for demanding automotive camera systems. This position will be responsible for all aspects of custom camera lens development (including specification, design, characterization, and manufacturing). The ideal candidate will be proficient at both full-custom in-house lens development, and at working with external lens design teams.
- Collaborate with other team members to understand and refine high-level camera system requirements (e.g. field of view, resolution, and sensitivity)
- Create detailed specifications for camera systems and lenses
- Design complete full-custom camera lens assemblies
- Work with external partners to design and manufacture individual custom lens elements and complete custom camera lens assemblies
- Ability to take a custom lens design through the entire engineering life-cycle, from initial specification to high-volume manufacturing
- Proficiency with lens design and stray-light analysis software (e.g. Zemax, Code V, or OSLO)
- Experience with mechanical CAD software (SolidWorks preferred)
Knowledge of various related aspects is a plus:
- Other optical systems (illumination, LIDAR)
- Image sensors and image processing pipelines
- Computer vision, computational photography
- Emerging camera technologies
The Uber Advanced Technologies Center is the Pittsburgh division of the elite Uber Engineering Team; a high-performance culture marked by fearlessness and hyper-productivity. We focus on the development of key long-term technologies that advance Uber’s mission of bringing safe, reliable transportation to everyone, everywhere. Our research is primarily in the areas of mapping, vehicle safety, and autonomy. Our team is comprised of world-renowned researchers with decades of experience and we’re looking for superstar engineers who can work harder, faster, and smarter without sacrificing technical excellence.
As an Uber ATC team member, you'll have a direct impact on the innovation of cutting edge technologies. The work you will do will be tested and deployed on real systems, in real-world conditions. The experience you will gain will be unique and unmatched. Do you dream about changing the world using your passion for science and engineering? Then you should apply to join our team. We are ambitious, engaged and excited about disrupting the transportation industry across the world. We are moving real assets and real people. Our research will make this process safer and more efficient now and in the decades to come.
Here are the kinds of qualities we're looking for:
Fast learner. We’re looking for team members who thrive on applying their knowledge, learning new technologies and don’t believe in one-size-fits-all solutions. You should be able to adapt easily to meet the rapid pace of a rapidly evolving research, development, and testing environment.
Fearlessness. You think a working proof-of-concept is the best way to make a point. You strive on proving that speed and quality are not conflicting; that you can achieve both at the same time.
Versatility. In addition to having an intimate knowledge of core engineering fields, you understand how all the pieces fit together into integrated systems, and how they impact performance.
Passion. You feel ownership over everything you ship; you'd never call code or design "released" until you’re confident it’s correct. You pride yourself on efficient monitoring, strong documentation, and proper test coverage.
A team player. You believe that you can achieve more on a team — that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. You rely on others' candid feedback for continuous improvement.
Design and business acumen. You understand requirements beyond the written word and how your technical contributions will influence the viability of future products. Whether you’re working on a software library used by other developers, a sensor to be retrofitted on a test vehicle, or a printed circuit to be mass produced, the other members of the team can depend on the quality of your work to rapidly advance our goals.
- Employees are showered with Uber credits each month.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, paid company holidays and Uber credits.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
We're bringing Uber to every major city in the world. We need brains and passion to make it happen and to make it happen in style.