Our mission is to make biology easier to engineer. Ginkgo is constructing, editing, and redesigning the living world in order to answer the globe’s growing challenges in health, energy, food, materials, and more. Our bioengineers make use of an in-house automated foundry for designing and building new organisms. Today, our foundry is developing over 40 different organisms to make different products across multiple industries.
We are looking for chemists who are as excited as we are about the potential for merging biological design with the design of scents and flavors. Candidates should have a variety of chemistry experience in one or more of the following areas: total synthesis, natural products chemistry, medicinal chemistry, chemical biology, analytical chemistry, and/or process chemistry.
- Synthesis, purification, and characterization of metabolic intermediates and natural products for use as analytical standards
- Development of chemical tools to enable HTP assays of organism performance
- Development of methods for gram-scale extraction and purification of target molecules from biosynthetic culture conditions
- Analytical characterization of extraction and purification processes
- PhD in organic chemistry, analytical chemistry, chemical biology, or similar or BS/MS with equivalent industry experience
- Experience in preparative chromatography approaches a plus
- Experience in organic synthesis a plus
- Experience in plant natural products chemistry a plus
To learn more about Ginkgo, check out some recent press:
We also feel it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry and it needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. We hope to continue to build a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with engineers from all walks of life. Making biology easier to engineer is a tough nut to crack – we can’t afford to leave any talent untapped.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.