The Payroll Manager will be a key contributor within the finance team. This individual will develop, manage and drive the payroll guidelines of the company. This role requires a highly-motivated individual that can adapt to a rapidly changing and exciting start-up environment. The ideal candidate will be results-oriented, possess a strong drive to meet/exceed goals and ensure all compliance requirements relating to payroll.
POSITION REQUIREMENT & RESPONSIBILITIES - Manages the following functions:
Maintain payroll guidelines in writing and update payroll related policies and procedures.
Ensure that the bi-monthly payroll is accurately processed on a timely manner and able to handle any unusual payroll related questions.
Continuously identify and develop solutions for process efficiency to improve productivity
Prepare and review reconciliations of payroll related balance sheet accounts and related journal entries
Support external audits as well as payroll related audits
Coordinate and partner with HR team in keeping all payroll records accurate and up to date
Participate in the implementation of new payroll system
Responsible for accurate monthly/quarterly/annual filing requirements (including year-end W-2 reporting)
Update payroll records by reviewing and approving changes in exemptions, insurance coverage, savings deductions, job titles, and department/division transfers.
Prepare reports by compiling summaries of earnings, taxes, deductions, leave, disability, and nontaxable wages.
Maintain employee confidence and protect payroll operations by keeping information confidential.
Maintain professional and technical knowledge to become the subject matter expert in payroll, through attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing professional networks; participating in professional associations.
Support budgeting process with high level payroll and benefit information
Able to help ad hoc reporting for management and able to help in other areas of accounting when needed
KEY RELATIONSHIPS - The incumbent will form key relationships with:
• Work with HR team for day-to-day coordination and able to work with employees of the company in general for any payroll related issues
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE - The successful candidate will have the following experience or knowledge in the following areas:
• Minimum 10 plus years of experience in managing multi state payroll department
• Strong ability to maintain confidentiality to payroll and other employee personal information
• Working knowledge of payroll software platforms as well as HRMS systems, in particular Ultimate Software and Workday
• Excellent problem solving skills, good judgement and high level of attention to details and accuracy.
• Independent and able to work with minimum supervision
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills
• Excellent organization skills; ability to handle multiple priorities within deadlines is required.
• Proficient in MS Excel and PowerPoint.
• Options/Stocks tracking experience for payroll reporting highly desired
• BS/BA in Accounting/Finance/Economics