Reporting to the Practice Administrator and Lead Clinician, the Peer Support Specialist will serve as a key member of the care team, helping patients navigate their recovery journey both inside and outside of the Eleanor Health clinic. The CRP is responsible for providing the support patients need to understand the Eleanor Health program, adhere to their personalized treatment plan, and access the support they need to support whole-person health and wellness. The nature of support provided will vary widely depending on an individual patient’s needs and may span logistical, financial, emotional, or social aspects of a patient’s life.
The Peer Support Specialist will also serve as an essential and active member of the community. S/he will educate patients and their families, encourage them to engage in treatment, and work towards stigma reduction in the community. Other key activities include driving referrals to complementary care partners, encouraging visit and medication adherence, and addressing any roadblocks that may negatively impact patients.
The Peer Support Specialist will support patients through times of need, encourage their continued commitment in difficult times, and celebrate both the small and significant achievements throughout their journey. As a Peer Support Specialist you will have a group of patients who you will get to know who live in your community; you will meet with them in their homes, neighborhoods, community organizations, and wherever is most convenient for the patients. This role will require up to 50% community-based work and require travel to some of the hospitals in the area.
As a Peer Support Specialist , you will often be the first point of contact with members as they arrive and you will play an important role in welcoming them into Eleanor Health and supporting them through the clinical intake process, coordinating follow-up appointments with our provider team, and proactively responding to any existing members or potential members’ needs.
Clinical* (Community and In-Clinic)
- Capture clinical, behavioral, and social information about the patient
- Collaborate with the care team (including therapists, Advanced Practice Practitioners, and physicians) to inform personalized patient treatment plans and adherence strategies
- Identify broader health, wellness, and social needs for patients
- Identify and proactively connect patient with specific community resources and services to address needs
- Help patients understand their personalized treatment plans, including their short term and long term activities
- Perform progress assessments at points of treatment phase advancement
- Continuously learn about substance use disorder, opioid use disorder, and the common clinical and social comorbidities for patients
*Clinical activities will be completed under the supervision of an MD or Advanced Practice Provider (APP)
- Establish trusting relationships with patients and their caregivers
- Effectively communicate the Eleanor Health model and program requirements
- Help patients understand their confidentiality rights and procedures
- Collaborate with patients to set self-identified goals, leveraging motivational interviewing techniques
- Work with patients to assess progress against their goals and identify improvement areas, leveraging motivational interviewing techniques
- Empower patients to increase their recovery capital
- Provide patients with relevant education and link patients to community resources to support their recovery journey
- Support daily operations of the clinic, including making calls to patients, welcoming patients into the clinic, assisting with front desk inquiries, performing urine drug assays, and assisting with bringing patients around the clinic
- Coordinate with external treatment facilities and support services, assisting with referrals where needed
- Proactively identify methods to improve Eleanor Health’s program based on feedback from patients, including ideas for new services to offer to certain patient populations
- Collaborate with other care team members to facilitate the enrollment of new members to Eleanor Health, including making appointments, verifying insurances and collecting co-payments
- Peer Support Specialist Certification is Required
- Current CPR certification required
- Mission driven and motivated to join an organization that will transform the way we deliver accessible, evidence-based, and clinically excellent care in the substance use disorder space
- Must be a person with lived experience and currently in recovery for a minimum of two years
- Strong interpersonal communication skills, written communication skills, and active listening abilities
- Highly empathetic, non-judgmental, and open-minded
- Experience in a collaborative team environment
- Must have reliable transportation and live within a reasonable radius of Winston Salem for transport.
- Engage in in-person visits to potential members during their hospital stay
- Accompany members to medical appointments as appropriate
- Experience coaching and motivating individuals in recovery to achieve goals
- Experience in a clinical or customer service environment preferred
- Experience working with substance use disorder and/or opioid use disorder patients is preferred, but not required
- Community health experience is preferred, but not required
- Understanding of personal finance and financial terms is preferred, but not required
- Basic understanding of health insurance and health insurance terms is preferred, but not required
- Familiarity with the healthcare and social support resources in Winston-Salem is preferred, but not required
- Located in the Winston-Salem area and able to travel to clinic sites, hospitals and community organization sites on a daily basis
- A candidate who owns or leases a well-maintained automobile is preferred, but not required, for traveling to patient homes, pharmacies, and other locations in the community.
Compensation & Benefits
The target compensation range for this position is $19.25/hr - $19.75/hr . The actual compensation offered depends on a variety of factors, which may include, as applicable, the applicant’s qualifications for the position; years of relevant experience; specific and unique skills; level of education attained; certifications or other professional licenses held; other legitimate, non-discriminatory business factors specific to the position; and the geographic location in which the applicant lives and/or from which they will perform the job.
Eleanor Health offers a generous benefits package to full-time employees, which includes
- Flexible time off that includes 80 annual hours of PTO accrued monthly + 10 wellness days granted on day 1 - unplug, relax, and recharge!
- 9 observed company holidays + 3 floating holidays- We encourage you to use the additional 3 floating holidays to accommodate personal beliefs/practices
- Wellness Days - In lieu of “Sick Time” which typically applies only when you are ill, we encourage you to proactively manage your overall wellbeing, both physical and mental, as well as the wellbeing of those who play important roles in your life.
- Fully covered medical and dental insurance plan, with affordable vision coverage.- We are a health first company, and we strive to make our plans affordable and accessible
- 401(k) plan with 3% match. We are excited to be able to support the long-term financial well-being of our team in a way that reinforces Eleanor’s commitment to equity.
- Short-term disability- We understand that things happen, we want you to feel comfortable to take the time to get better.
- Family Medical Leave- Eleanor Health’s Paid Family & Medical Leave (“PFML”) is designed to provide flexibility and financial peace of mind for approved family and medical reasons such as the birth, adoption, or fostering of a child, and for serious health conditions that they or a family member/significant other might be facing.
- Wellness Perks & Benefits- Mental Health is important to us and we want our employees to have the accessibility they deserve to talk things through, zen with a mindfulness app, or seek assistance from health advocates
- Mindfulness App Reimbursement
- 1 year subscription to TalkSpace
- Paid Membership to Health Advocate, One Medical, and Teladoc
About Eleanor Health
Eleanor Health is the first outpatient addiction and mental health provider delivering convenient and comprehensive care through a value-based payment structure. Committed to health and wellbeing without judgment, Eleanor Health is focused on delivering whole-person, comprehensive care to transform the quality, delivery, and accessibility of care for people affected by addiction.
To date, Eleanor Health operates multiple clinics and a fully virtual model statewide across Louisiana, Massachusetts, New Jersey, North Carolina, Ohio, Texas, and Washington, delivering care through population and value-based partnerships with Medicare, Medicaid, and employers.
If you are passionate about providing high quality, evidence based care for individuals with substance use disorder through an innovative practice and about building a great business that makes a difference, Eleanor Health is an ideal opportunity for you. We seek highly skilled, motivated and compassionate individuals who take responsibility and adapt quickly to change to join our deeply committed and collaborative team.
Job Type: Full-time