Glossier is a people-first beauty company on a mission to give everyone a voice through beauty. We create physical, digital, and offline experiences inspired by our community that foster connection, inspire a sense of belonging, and invite people to participate in Glossier. We are inclusive, customer-devoted, curious, courageous, discerning, and results-driven.
Our retail People & Culture Managers (PCMs) help drive our people-first employee experience philosophy rooted in authenticity, integrity, inclusion, equity, and empathy. As a People & Culture Manager in retail, you are an experienced people advocate with a hospitality mindset, who fosters and maintains a safe, equitable, and inclusive environment for the store teams. People & Culture Managers in retail will work in partnership with retail Store Directors, as well as the corporate Retail and People teams, to guide a people strategy that supports Glossier’s inclusive and community-minded approach to beauty. This includes creating hiring strategies and tactics, developing retail HR processes and policies, fostering a welcoming culture driven by inclusivity, and supporting store leaders as they build and manage their teams.
As a People & Culture Manager in retail, you will be fully immersed in the development and support of the store’s employee culture, with direct impact to the employee experience and an indirect impact to the customer experience. You will support multiple store teams, both domestic and international (e.g., London). This role will report into the Head of People, Retail.
Six Month Expectations
- Support an inclusive and equitable culture and uphold our Code of Conduct and commitment to a work environment that is free from discrimination, harassment, bullying, and intimidation.
- Foster an employee culture of camaraderie and collaboration, modeling and enforcing standards of professionalism and respect.
- Partner with the stores’ leadership teams to proactively shape talent priorities to align to our long-term business strategy and evolving needs.
- Coach and develop store leadership to be effective and inspiring leaders:
- Deliver a spectrum of strategic and tactical HR support and programs aligned with Glossier’s business initiatives.
- Partner with managers to offer practical advice and guidance in-line with current legislation.
- Drive the store’s recognition initiatives, fostering teamwork and fun— joy is our language!
- Support in-house recognition initiatives that focus on elements like moments of surprise and delight, milestone celebrations (e.g., birthdays, anniversaries), storewide performance recognition (e.g., plan achievement), and other fun events.
- Establish connections with local non-profit organizations to develop and execute programs benefiting the community, in collaboration with the store teams.
- Work alongside our People Operations team to roll out regular cadence of HR programs (e.g. performance reviews, compensation planning).
- Partner with the Field Education team on training initiatives such as onboarding processes, product knowledge training, etc., and ensure the completion of training programs.
- Manage processes and solutions for specific operational needs including store policies, reporting, time management, and record keeping.
- Serve as the main point of contact for the appropriate escalation of all employee-related issues.
- Conduct timely investigations, partnering with the Head of People and Legal team as needed, on all employee relations matters, leading these with confidentiality, trust, compliance, and empathy.
- Support New Store Opening (NSO) processes, from recruitment to onboarding and training support.
- Manage administrative processes for store employees (e.g., employee records maintenance) in close partnership with the People Operations team.
- Develop inclusive hiring and interviewing processes and ensure the stores are appropriately staffed with diverse, best-in-class, beauty enthusiasts.
Twelve+ Month Expectations
- Master all HR operational processes (e.g., HRIS and Greenhouse administration).
- Develop close partnerships with field and cross-functional partners, beyond retail (Wholesale, Legal).
- Own the full cycle retail recruitment process for assigned stores from sourcing to ultimate fulfillment.
- Partner with the Director of Culture and Inclusion to diagnose and define the programs and support needed to optimize employee performance including recognition and rewards programs.
- Deliver a spectrum of strategic and tactical HR support and programs which are aligned with Glossier’s business initiatives.
- Adapt and implement people programs and processes including organizational design, talent development, recruiting, onboarding, performance management, and change management efforts.
- Develop an ongoing pipeline of potential candidates, sharing best practices with leadership teams, to support the collective talent acquisition efforts (e.g., understanding the local retail market to identify potential talent, developing a strong online network, and participating in recruiting events and fairs).
- Utilize HR data management tools, combine data from different sources, and synthesize key HR performance metrics and data to story tell and provide decision support
- Minimum of 5 years of HR experience, with at least 3 in a managerial capacity, supporting exempt and hourly employees required.
- Generalist experience across multiple disciplines within HR including but not limited to recruiting, employee relations, training and facilitation and compensation preferred.
- Experience in retail, specifically within beauty, hospitality, or customer service environments strongly preferred.
- Proven ability to foster and support a positive, inclusive, diverse, and highly collaborative employee culture.
- Demonstrated experience in supporting the development of capable, high-performing teams and investing deeply in the growth of managers and team members.
- An advocate for all members of the team, promoting inclusion and belonging– always.
- Experience handling sensitive employee concerns and investigations, in an expeditious, detailed-oriented, and empathetic manner.
- Demonstrated ability to show empathy and understanding while still driving action.
- A true collaborator in nature, driven by the power of teamwork, who thrives in group settings.
- Experience in the design and implementation of scalable HR programs aiming to promote and retain best-in-class teams.
- Experience leading people operations processes, including onboarding and offboarding, performance reviews, benefits orientation, and engagement surveys.
- Highly skilled working in a fast-paced, rapidly growing environment, demonstrating flexibility to the ever changing employee and business needs.
- Highly adaptable with an impeccable ability to multitask.
- Patient, open-minded, resourceful and can troubleshoot with ease.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, and experienced in delivering information in a clear, concise, and structured manner.
- Familiarity with federal and state labor laws.
- Schedule flexibility to work some weekends and holidays required.
- Experience in training content development and facilitation a plus.
- Experience working with global, distributed teams a plus.
- Experience working within a startup environment or early-stage retail organization a plus
- This role does entail business travel, roughly 3 to 5 trips per year to retail locations as well as HQ in NYC.
NOTE: Glossier requires all newly-hired employees whose job responsibilities require them to work from a Glossier office or retail location or require them to travel, work in person with vendors or others or participate in creative productions to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Glossier is an equal opportunity employer and will provide reasonable accommodation to those individuals who are unable to be vaccinated consistent with federal, state or local law.
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity (“EEO”) Employer. It has been and will continue to be a fundamental policy of Glossier not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, gender, gender identity, pregnancy, marital status, partnership status, domestic violence victim status, sexual orientation, age, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, veteran or military status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, caregiver status, unemployment status or any other characteristic prohibited by federal, state and/or local laws. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including hiring, promotion, demotion, compensation, training, working conditions, transfer, job assignment, benefits, layoff, and termination.