BuzzFeed is looking for a talented and creative full-time Photo Director. Assigning, art directing, editing photography, studio lighting, and shooting experience required. This is an exciting opportunity to take BuzzFeed photography to the next level. The position reports to the Global Photo Director and involves collaborating with photo editors, writers, designers, and photographers to bring stories to life on BuzzFeed's website and produce original work for emerging social media platforms.
This is a full-time salaried position in our New York office and we offer a competitive compensation and benefits package.
- Manage a team of in-house photographers, freelance photographers, and stylists.
- Manage and participate in the creation of custom distributed photo content for social platforms
- Pitch, shoot, art direct, and commission compelling photography projects for celeb & entertainment, and lifestyle categories like hair and beauty, health and fitness, DIY and decor, food and drink.
- Work alongside our edit, design, and social teams to coordinate the logistics of photo shoots.
- Coach our photo and social teams to capture informative, beautiful pictures.
- Manage the photo studio, studio calendar, and equipment usage between departments
- Manage budget for original photography projects
- Produce original, creative, fun photographs that people will like and share on Instagram, Tumblr, Facebook, and emerging platforms.
- Obsessively track visual trends on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and Tumblr and experiment with new formats.
- 3-5 years experience managing is preferred
- Demonstrated success capturing an audience on visual social platforms such as Instagram and Pinterest.
- Shooting experience in a studio setting required
- A thorough understanding of the photography equipment and techniques necessary to produce compelling photography is a must.
- Tons of creative original ideas and the ability to execute ideas and projects from start to finish.
- Ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Extremely organized, attention to detail, ability to multi-task.
- A genuine love for and excitement about the internet.
- Strong network of freelance photographers.
Interested candidates should include the following to apply:
- A few short paragraphs explaining why you'd be a good fit for this particular position
- Link to online portfolio
- Links to your social media accounts such as a Twitter, Tumblr, Pinterest, or personal blog
- A resume