We are looking for a Platform Engineering Manager to lead a team of Platform/DevOps/Site-Reliability engineers in the development and maintenance of stable, resilient, and scalable Production and development infrastructure.
This is an ideal opportunity for a leader to work in a high velocity, high impact environment and cultivate a growing team of bright, passionate engineers. We’re looking for compassionate leaders who believe in leadership through service, by example, and with empathy.
Our growing team is composed of over 60 engineers with diverse backgrounds in mobile, web, backend and machine learning. You will be working with individuals who are very passionate about their craft and share their opinions in healthy debate. Our team includes engineers located in the New York City area, across the US and around the world so this role can be worked from anywhere!
You’re a good fit if
- You have a strong track record of building and improving CI/CD, deployment pipelines, IaC, and configuration management infrastructure and practices
- You have 5+ years as an Individual Contributor within the Platform/DevOps/Site-Reliability space and 1+ years as an Engineering Manager
- You prefer leading small teams (4-7 engineers) of and seniority
- You are smart and get things done in an organized and detail-oriented manner
- You love cultivating strong relationships with stakeholders which will include Product Managers as well as Engineering Managers on other teams
- You advocate for bi-directional feedback from both your direct reports and your manager
- You have a strong sense of ownership and take pride in the things you build
- You can drive change by winning hearts and minds rather than using your “Manager card”
- You enjoy learning new things, reading documentation, and see yourself as a self-starter.
You are passionate and want to keep coding, documenting, pair-program, and reviewing PRs
Your day to day will look like
- You will provide support, feedback, and career development to your direct reports through consistent 1:1’s, coaching, and pair-programming. You will ensure your reports are aligned with Engineering and Product initiatives and remove blockers if necessary.
- You will work with the team and the rest of the engineering department to create the Product Roadmap for our Platform.
- You will ensure the roadmap includes a healthy balanced mix of items that improve the department’s developer-experience, internal tech debt cleanup, observability enhancements, investments in disaster recovery, remediation items from incidents, etc.
- You will ensure user stories are thoroughly fleshed out with acceptance criteria so that they’re ready to be picked up by engineers.
- You will own and facilitate the agile rituals (standups, sprint kickoffs, grooming, retros, etc.) for the team.
You will provide a good pulse and report on the execution and overall health of your squad to your manager with respect to deliverable and individual team members performance.
- You will own or co-own some of the Engineering department OKRs.
- You will help communicate and facilitate organizational and procedural changes as they come.
- You will work with your peer Engineering Managers to drive cultural change towards developer ownership
- You will be spending about 33% of your time hands-on, working "in the trenches" on tickets from the sprint alongside the team
OUR TECH STACK
- Docker & K8S,
- Google Cloud, AWS
- IaC: Terraform, Helm
- Observability & Alerting: Prometheus, Grafana, New Relic, Sentry, Pagerduty
- Mongo, Postgres, Redis
- Hapijs, @hapi/code, @hapi/lab
- React, Vue.js,
- Redux, VueX
- Jest for unit testing
- Native iOS
- Native Android
We strive for service oriented architecture (help us break the monolith!) and we try to adhere to open source development style/standards. We work to remove the platform team as a dependency of other teams by designing tools and processes to empower developers.
At Pager, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.