At Booking.com we combine the best traits of a start-up with the resources of planet Earth’s #1 accommodation website. We are working towards creating the ultimate travel experience, building and improving great products for both travelers and the accommodation partners.
We are not afraid to experiment, think big or aim high!
Based in the beautiful city of Amsterdam, our technology department is over 1500 strong.
We believe that diversity makes us stronger – with over 60 different nationalities in the technology department alone, you will be able to absorb new skills and develop your career in a multicultural environment.
As well as working independently, you will also be responsible for making technical decisions within a team and across teams/sub departments. Our development strategy is agile and we work in small Scrum teams of 5-7. We do several code rollouts every day, are data-driven and do extensive A/B testing on both user and partner facing platforms.
- Leads design of a successful highly distributed, large scale platform that has a major impact on the internal and external users
- Serves as a back-end tech lead on large scale projects
- Hands-on development of proof of concepts and evaluation of new technologies
- Implement technical strategic decisions in cross functional teams
- Works closely with product owners and engineers to design, implement, continually improve highly scalable applications and services
- Provides technical guidance to other team members
- Maintains a current understanding of industry and technology trends
- Communicates and enforces coding standards
- 12+ years of software development experience, minimum 3 years in lead/architect role
- Experience and understanding about how to develop and operate strategic systems
- Proven hands-on experience in designing, building, improving and operating high-performance, highly-available and scalable distributed systems in fast growing environment
- Experience with service oriented architecture (SOA) is preferred
- Extensive experience with software development processes
- Expert knowledge of computer science, with strong competencies in data storage and processing
- Ability to design and solve complex business problems by writing simple, effective code
- Eager to work in multiple programming languages and frameworks and constantly striving to raise technical excellence
- Ability to convince, provide work direction and leadership to colleagues who do not directly report to this role
- Experience mentoring and growing (senior) developers, not through reporting lines, but through thorough and convincing communication is preferred
- Excellent communication skills. Demonstrated ability to use data to influence and drive decisions
- Strong customer focus and passion for doing the right thing for the customer
- Living and working in Amsterdam, one of the most cosmopolitan cities in Europe
- Contributing to a high scale, complex, world renowned product and seeing real time impact of your work on millions of travelers worldwide
- Working in a fast paced and performance driven culture
- Opportunity to utilize technical expertise, leadership capabilities and entrepreneurial spirit
- Promote and drive impactful and innovative engineering solutions
- Technical, behavioral and interpersonal competence advancement via on-the-job opportunities, experimental projects, hackathons, conferences and active community participation
- Competitive compensation and benefits package and some great added perks of working in the home city of Booking.com
This position is open to worldwide candidates and, in the case of relocation, we will assist you with a generous relocation package, ensuring a smooth transition to working and living in Amsterdam. We have successfully relocated 300+ Technology professionals to Amsterdam in the last year!