Ocado has built and operates a series of large, automated Customer Fulfilment Centres (CFCs) to satisfy increasing demand from customers for a high-quality and reliable delivery service for online grocery orders. Ocado has signed deals with a number of international Grocers to provide them with the Ocado Smart Platform (OSP) to manage their automated CFCs and supporting head office software to provide a leading online grocery business.
As a result of our growth, a Construction and Installation team has been established to support our business and develop the capabilities needed to build and install the Ocado Smart Platform for ourselves and clients across the world. As Ocado transforms there is a growing need to support multiple complex projects across new styles and sizes of CFCs.
We are looking for an Engineering Project Manager in Japan, who will lead the Material Handling Equipment (MHE) delivery of our proprietary technology to Customer Fulfillment Centres for our partnership with AEON.Work will typically be on one of ten sites anywhere in Japan for 12-15 month periods, moving to another site on completion. Anticipate first 3 sites in the Tokyo area. The Initial on-boarding of 3 months is likely to take place in UK and/or existing OSP site
What will you be doing?
- Deliver Ocado seismic requirements in Japan for MHE integration into building construction.
- Coordinate Ocado OSP building interface requirements with Client’s general contractor using Ocado drawings and UR’s to ensure the requirements of Ocado’s OSP MHE are met proactively
- Coordination of site surveys to ensure that the building chambers are completed to Ocado OSP requirements prior to Ocado mobilising their contractors on site
- Work with the business team to formulate the capital installation budget of MHE hardware (£10M to £30M).
- Skilled in tendering and negotiating $10M+ incorporating high labour content, technical difficulty against a challenging budget target
- Ability to understand and work with lawyers contracts to CCMC or PAMF legal construction standards, having an understanding of legal tools to mitigate risk (e.g. bonds, LD’s, payment terms).
- Deliver installation against the budget and schedule. Formally present variations, mitigations to the business at regular intervals
- Required to present and summarise technical issues and commercial options to senior managers for escalations and decisions.
- Understanding of national/local legislation for construction/engineering compliance. Ability to negotiate with local authority to get sign off or convert UK spec machine to Japan compliant machine
- Competent to plan, design and manage construction sites in Japan. This person will be responsible for all Ocado construction safety on site.
- Leadership & management of a group of 5+ Professional Engineering Managers, 20 suppliers and a site presence up to 200 people on site for 10-15 months on a construction site anywhere in Japan and will be the most senior engineer on site (possibly construction duty holder for Ocado),
- Develop a build plan for all phases of the project concentrating on build-ability and access for all phases of the project
- Ability to install, commission and fault find complex Mech. Handling Equip. against challenging budgets, whilst delivering machines that operate correctly first time
- Engineering Graduate calibre ideally Chartered status or equivalent proven competence
- Construction Site Management for 200 people (ideally qualified with Site Management Safety Training Scheme or local equivalent)
- Occupational and Environmental Safety Qualification
- Microsoft Project or Primavera 6 applied to complex multi-million/multi-discipline projects
- Knowledge of Controls and Automation (Design, Install, Commission)
- Knowledge of appropriate permitting and licencing in location
- Must be fluent in English and Japanese both written and spoken
About Ocado Group...
When our journey started, we were all about changing the way people shop for groceries. 20 years later, we’re a FTSE 100 business developing our own ground breaking technology, opening multiple sites at an accelerating rate and engaging in exciting new business partnerships around the world!
Transforming an industry means also transforming the way we do business. As we continually develop new technologies and customer propositions, we’re looking for the brightest talents to lead us into the next stage of our evolution: enhancing our capabilities, inspiring our teams and developing new ways of working.
Our values: we’re in it together, we are proud of what we do, we can be even better…