Benson Hill empowers innovators to develop more healthy, tasty and sustainable food by unlocking the natural genetic diversity of plants. Benson Hill’s CropOS™ platform combines machine learning and big data with breeding techniques and plant biology to drastically accelerate and simplify the product development process. This platform allows for cost-effective and more efficient ways for companies to analyze and make improvements in plant genetics. Benson Hill brings a unique and holistic approach to our product and platform development, as we span a broader workflow involving trait and seed development, genome editing, and breeding all the way to creating better ingredients and varieties that tap a strong consumer demand for more flavorful and nutritious fruits and vegetables. More information can be found online at www.bensonhill.com. Follow us on Twitter at @BensonHillInc.
Our Purpose and Core Values
Our Core Values are a set of common principles we share that are fundamental to our company’s identity.
Be Bold! We redefine boundaries by providing new solutions to difficult problems. Together we are driven to transform the future and will not allow the fear of failure to prevent us from innovating. We voice our opinions, embrace change, and challenge each other to think creatively.
Be Inspired! We redefine boundaries by providing new solutions to difficult problems. Together we are driven to transform the future and will not allow the fear of failure to prevent us from innovating. We voice our opinions, embrace change, and challenge each other to think creatively.
Be Real! We understand who we are, what we want to achieve, and what it takes to get there. We hold each other accountable through timely, candid, and well-intentioned feedback. Together we engage in honest communication and healthy debate that leads to success through true alignment.
We are actively seeking an outstanding Principal Food Engineer to join our rapidly growing Food Science Department at Benson Hill. The Principal Food Engineer will lead Benson Hill’s commercial ingredient portfolio development. This technical expert will provide leadership on multi-disciplinary teams for seed improvement, ingredient development, application prototyping, commercialization, and customer support. Your expertise in plant-based proteins includes work at benchtop, pilot, and commercial manufacturing scales including experience in research, innovation, product development, process development, commercialization, and product applications. Leveraging Benson Hill’s proprietary seed lines, you will develop the next generation of superior ingredients improving functionality, taste, nutrition, and affordability of plant-based ingredients and foods.
(Essential Duties and Responsibilities)
- Design and build state of the art laboratory and pilot plant capability to create and analyze ingredients and application prototypes
- Accelerate future innovation by identifying and quantifying novel structural, functional, nutritional, and flavor improvements in Benson Hill’s seed and ingredient pipelines
- Support development and sales of Benson Hill’s proprietary ingredient portfolio at all scales including benchtop, pilot, and commercial
- Provide engineering and technical support to Benson Hill’s commercial business teams and customers
- Lead ingredient innovation efforts combining unique seed attributes with novel process techniques to deliver significant next-generation improvements in ingredient quality, functionality, flavor, sustainability, process simplification, and reduced cost
(Competencies and Qualifications)
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Food Engineering or related field. Master’s preferred
- Minimum of 6 years’ experience in process development of food ingredient and/or products.
- Expertise in food ingredient processing and commercialization is required. Plant protein expertise (processing, process development/optimization, functionality improvement) strongly preferred
- Collaborative with excellent communication skills
- Entrepreneurial attitude, creative problem-solving skills, and gritty drive to overcome challenges to achieve results
We have a Total Rewards Package at Benson Hill that consists of more than just your paycheck. Total Rewards at Benson Hill covers Pay (salary and bonus), Health (employer benefit contributions) and Wealth (investments). Some of the perks include:
- A Collaborative Environment
- A flexible PTO program with a focus on work/life balance
- Competitive medical benefits and retirement savings plan
- FREE Dental and Vision Coverage
- Education reimbursement
- PAID parental leave
- And more….