The Motional Santa Monica office is located in the heart of 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica at 312 Arizona Avenue. With all the modern amenities for productive work and play, it is steps away from the popular pedestrian outdoor shopping area and Santa Monica beach.
About this position:
The Prediction and Behavior Modeling team is looking to add a Principal Research Scientist to help us build data-driven models for Perception, Prediction, and Planning. Your models will help us understand surrounding traffic, predict what other road users will do, and determine how to drive. Your machine learning, data analytics, and applied mathematics experience will inform your pragmatic approach to making a more intelligent autonomous vehicle. Does this sound like you?
What You Will Work On:
- Dive into data to understand behaviors of road users such as cars, bikes, and pedestrians
- Develop probabilistic models to predict how other road users may move and interact with our car, and evaluate their performance on real-world and simulated data sets
- Research data-driven driving policies for planning and decision-making
- Present results to colleagues and publish at conferences
- Influence our technical direction and research plans
What You Will Bring:
- MS or PhD in computer science, robotics, or similar field, with 5+ years practical experience in robotics, machine learning, and analysis of large data sets
- In-depth understanding of common Machine Learning and Deep Learning algorithms, and their application to real-world systems
- Fluency in Python, including standard deep learning and scientific computing libraries
- Excellent skills developing software in a team setting
- Excellent skills for working with large data sets
- Strong applied math background
Bonus points (but not required):
- Experience developing machine learning solutions for autonomous vehicles or robots
- Publications and patents encouraged. Team has one paper currently at CVPR (https://arxiv.org/abs/1911.10298).
- Joining a small team of 10, which offers the opportunity to contribute across multiple disciplines (perception, prediction, planning, infrastructure).
- Speaking opportunities are encouraged and supported
- Will closely collaborate with ML team for infrastructure and prototype
Motional is making driverless vehicles a safe, reliable, and accessible reality.
Our team is commercializing a world-class driverless system. The Motional team is behind some of the industry’s largest leaps forward in the last decade, including the first fully-autonomous cross-country drive in the U.S, the launch of the world’s first robotaxi pilot, and operation of the world’s most-established public robotaxi fleet. Strategically formed by Hyundai Motor Group, one of the world’s largest vehicle manufacturers offering smart mobility solutions, and Aptiv, a global technology leader in advanced safety, electrification, and vehicle connectivity, Motional is fundamentally changing how people move through their lives.
Motional AD Inc. is an EOE. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. To comply with Federal Law, we participate in E-Verify. All newly-hired employees are queried through this electronic system established by the DHS and the SSA to verify their identity and employment eligibility.