ACCEL Schools is seeking is seeking experienced and highly motivated Principals in Cleveland, OH dedicated to providing a superior education for all students. We are seeking leaders who are excited to create a rigorous and nurturing environment that prioritizes student engagement and achievement.
With a network of 70 charter schools and growing, ACCEL Schools employs a diverse staff of passionate administrators and educators who value research-based practices and a desire to grow as professionals. We work tirelessly to raise student achievement, regardless of historical barriers, while committed to participating in ongoing professional development, job embedded instructional coaching, and embracing a growth mindset.
The Principal serves as the instructional and administrative leader of the ACCEL Schools campus – responsible for the development, implementation and achievement of the school’s academic vision, student advancement and daily operations. The Principal will ensure successful academic outcomes for all students while employing long-term instructional sustainability measures involving professional development, teacher quality assessment, curriculum and pedagogical advancement.
The Principal shall be responsible for:
- Leading the strategic instructional design and practice, including: implementing an integrated curriculum; directing instructional coaching and evaluation; systematic use of assessment data to guide instruction; and, maximizing impact of the blended learning model (where available).
- Develop, implement and lead the instructional programs of the school, assessing curriculum, pedagogy, lesson plans and observing classes (teaching and learning) on a frequent and structured basis to encourage the use of a variety of instructional strategies and materials consistent with research on the best practices for student learning and development.
- Delivering consistently high levels of achievement and learning for all students through rigorous and engaging programs and classroom instruction.
- Relentlessly work to meet all goals related to student achievement and school culture as well as Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) goals.
- Facilitate the implementation of a standards-based curriculum, review lesson plans weekly, and conduct frequent walk-throughs/teacher debriefs.
- Assume responsibility for student achievement as related to academics and social-emotional wellbeing.
- Serve as the instructional leader in the building by facilitating a growth-focused professional environment.
- Develop and/or modify the school’s cultural programming and school-wide PBIS process with an emphasis on appropriate class conduct and behavior.
- Work with staff to plan and coordinate teacher-based teams, staff in-service days, data days, etc.
- Develop and implement consistent professional development for teachers, ensuring regular instructional training is consistent with the latest research-based methodologies.
- Implement behavior management practices that ensure consistent norms of orderly, respectful behavior, motivating students through strong relationships with their teachers and positive reinforcement.
- Facilitate and direct the Charter School’s Special Education program and ensuring program participants are achieving at high levels.
- Coordinate all phases of summer educational opportunities and before/after school programs as applicable.
- Establish a strong school community culture by maintaining positive, cooperative and mutually supportive relationships with faculty, staff, parents, students, and all other school stakeholders.
- Skillful and collaborative leadership of all teachers, staff, and school leaders, including supervision, coaching, and performance management oversight.
- Lead the Charter School’s teacher evaluation program and ensure all teachers have opportunities to meet their professional goals and are expertly executing ACCEL Schools instructional best practices.
- Evaluate teachers as per the State Ohio teacher Evaluation System (OTES).
- Overseeing the Charter School’s professional development program ensuring a strong, collaborative professional community, regular training opportunities and a meaningful summer experience.
- Creating a student support system that addresses students’ academic and behavioral needs holistically and involves parents, teachers, and all relevant staff.
- Manage the school’s daily operations, including: facilities management; information/instructional technologies; food services; student data management systems; academic assessment tools; office management; budget and fiscal controls; and, student recruitment and retention.
- With support from the Home Office/Operations Team, exercise full engagement on compliance, budget, procurement, student data, academic assessments, and campus safety. Cooperate with the back-office service provider where necessary to meet all school administrative activities. Make recommendations for improvement as necessary.
- Partner with Human Resources to execute a highly effective talent management system of recruiting, selecting, hiring, retaining, recognizing, and supporting all school site staff.
- Ensure non-discrimination practices in the selection process of faculty and staff by adhering to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) requirements.
- Collaborate with Home Office/Operations Team on the review and reporting requirements of the State, charter authorizing agency and Federal regulatory agencies, school sponsor, including the charter renewal process.
- With support from the operations team, oversee maintenance of school census data, attendance data, and other reporting requirements as mandated by the state or school sponsor.
- With support from the operations team, implement the national school lunch program, transportation, audits, student application distribution, collection, approval, and verifications as applicable.
- Complete all accountability reports and oversee all student enrollment reports to the state; ensure compliance in all areas.
- Manage student recruitment and retention and achieve goals of retaining 85% of students annually.
- Understand and address all compliance items as they relate to the school’s Sponsor Agreement.
- Maintain a master school calendar to be posted for all stakeholders in all appropriate mediums (i.e. website, social media, student/parent guide, employee handbook). Work with the Home Office staff to ensure all marketing and communications tools are up-to-date and active.
- Engage in regular communications with the Home Office/Operations Team about the needs, successes and general operation of the school.
- Maintain open and ongoing daily and/or weekly meetings with the Regional Vice President
- Ensure the safety and wellbeing of all students and colleagues.
- Assist with updating parent and student manuals, policies, and handbooks.
- Acting as the Charter School’s point person to the local community, effectively communicating the school’s mission and vision and soliciting input from parents and families about school performance, areas for improvement, and their needs.
- Understand, accept, abide by, and implement the school’s philosophy and mission statement in all school activities.
- Contribute to a positive climate and culture by exhibiting high professional standards.
- Engaging and building strong professional relationships with parents, characterized by timely and regular communications, involving parents, wherever possible in the life of the school.
- Cultivating partnerships with external organizations that enrich the culture of the school as well as strong working relationships with other local districts and charter authorizers.
- Plan and conduct student and family orientations.
- Coordinate special projects, such as peer mentoring, service learning and community involvement.
- Conduct home visits as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Passion for improving educational opportunities for all students and for building a strong, highly effective organization aligned to this mission.
- Demonstrated experience raising student achievement among a diverse group of learners, including low income students, non-native English speakers, students of color, and other traditionally underserved populations.
- Knowledge of/experience with innovative school designs and instructional models, including those featuring 21st Century learning strategies like blended, inquiry, problem/project based and personalized learning.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills.
- Strong, experienced manager with excellent leadership and team building skills.
- Ability to translate critical feedback into effective outcomes.
- Leads with grit, perseverance and a “can-do” positive attitude.
- Ability to productively organize, communicate, and disseminate policies, strategies, and tasks.
- Familiarity with the developmental, behavioral, social, and academic needs of students in the academic years.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Education or related discipline required; an advanced degree in education/educational leadership strongly preferred.
- Current valid Principal and Teacher license
- Two or more years of experience in successful school administration/instructional leadership in an urban setting
- Demonstrated skill in developing and maintaining a rigorous academic program that meets the needs of all scholars
- Experience in public education accountability, compliance, and related legal requirements.
- Experience in coaching teachers to improve their instructional planning, instructional practice, and classroom culture
- Knowledge of State Standards and Common Core Standards
- Successful completion of federal and state criminal background checks
- Ability to meet educational standards as applicable
- Ability to work well under pressure as well as effectively prioritize and execute tasks to meet deadlines consistently
- Understanding of and ability to manage confidential information
- Exemplary written and verbal communication skills
Compensation and Benefits:
- Salary commensurate with experience up to $130K
- Benefit packages including medical, dental and vision
- Health Savings Account (HSA) and Flexible Spending Account (FSA) options
- Eligible to participate in applicable retirement plan (STRS or SERS), with company contribution
- Company paid basic term life/AD&D insurance, short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Additional basic life/AD&D insurance and whole life insurance options
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) and Travel Assistance Program
- Paid time off (PTO) and paid holidays
- Bonuses and stipend opportunities
- Annual compensation adjustments
- Employee development and leadership opportunities
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
It is our policy to abide by all federal, state and local laws prohibiting employment discrimination based solely on a person’s race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy, childbirth, physical disability, mental and/or intellectual disability, age, military status, veteran status (including protected veterans), marital status, registered domestic partner or civil union status, familial status, gender (including sex stereotyping and gender identity or expression), medical condition, genetic information, sexual orientation, or any other protected status except where a reasonable, bonafide occupational qualification exists.