Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
Creating a world where anyone can truly belong requires a foundation of trust grounded in responsible business practices and consistent expectations of host and guest behavior. The Trust team is responsible for defining our policies and standards and ensuring implementation through communication, product features, workflows and tools, and taking actions when users violate our policies and community standards.
The privacy team is responsible for implementing and maintaining a world class privacy program and supporting our product and engineering work to deliver a respected and trusted experience to the Airbnb community and to maintain compliance with all applicable privacy & data protection laws.
- Possess a deep respect and passion for protecting people’s data privacy
- Self-motivated, proactive, with creative and critical thinking capabilities with a personal stake in everything that you work on.
- Comfortable performing under pressure to hit deadlines in an ambiguous matrixed organization
- Ability to work independently with limited guidance to create structures and develop operational concepts
- Hyper focused on customer engagement and building strong relationships
How you’ll make an impact
As a key member of the privacy team, you will partner with other privacy professionals across the company to
- Lead one or more aspect of the privacy program, such as policy and standards, privacy impact assessments, data subject rights processing, privacy controls, user experience, employee awareness & training, or incident management
- Provide significant contributions to the overall global privacy strategy, program design, implementation plan
- Partner closely with Airbnb businesses to enable privacy by design in our products, services and business processes
- Maintain a particular knowledge area specialism, and drive related initiatives, in areas such as privacy machine learning & data science, data ethics, privacy in marketing & advertising, privacy training, or privacy operations.
- Partner closely and collaboratively with the privacy legal team in the execution of privacy program functions
- Ensure compliance and operational risks are identified, escalated to the appropriate team and take appropriate steps to remediate risk
- Keep up with cutting-edge privacy innovations, technologies, approaches, and techniques that can potentially be applied to Airbnb
- Define and drive program planning and prioritization and be flexible to iterate/change per latest developments to meet agreed upon deadlines and business needs
- Define success metrics while keeping the metrics up to date and relevant
- Work closely with all business, ops, and product stakeholders to ensure successful end-to-end delivery of our privacy ambitions
- Present program area and initiative status to leadership on an ongoing basis
- Plan, design and execute China privacy compliance projects according to privacy legislations as well as local practices
- This role requires building and maintaining relationships with the following stakeholders, outside your Reporting line.
We are looking for people who have
- Exceptional collaboration, partnership and influencing skills with the ability to work in a global environment across multiple locations and time zones to drive consensus and deliver results in cross-functional teams
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills to interface well with technical, operations and business partners at all levels
- Success in working with product and engineering teams to define requirements and implement effective technical tools.
- Proven ability to translate policy and business requirements and work with various levels of business stakeholders to create innovative scalable solutions
- Outstanding written and verbal communication ability to a diverse stakeholder audience, including a global team of C-level executives, product, and technical stakeholders
- Strategic platform and system thinker who can balance big picture strategy with detailed, flawless execution
- Innate capability to, directly and indirectly, lead cross-functional teams through success
- A good understanding of how Product, Tech and Design teams operate, implement privacy principles in a complex technological ecosystem
- Knowledge of China data privacy legislations, industry practice and how they impact business operations and product design, could identify the potential impact/risk to business according to external regulations change
Experiences on product compliance under GDPR or US data privacy laws for transnational products or services
- Experience within the Diversity and Inclusion space
- 5+ years experience in privacy, compliance, security operations and program management, preferably in a global B2C technology company
- Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP), Certified Information Privacy Manager (CIPM), or equivalent professional certification is not required, but preferred.
- BA/BS degree