Amyris is building an integrated renewable products company using breakthrough science and an innovative business model to address some of our planet’s most daunting problems. Amyris first developed its technology under a non-profit initiative to provide a reliable and affordable source of artemisinin, a highly effective anti-malarial therapeutic and is now applying its industrial synthetic biology platform to provide alternatives to a broad range of products.
The Process Development team builds quality, safety, and cost-efficiency into manufacturing processes as they are developed to produce renewable chemical products. Strains making compounds never produced by fermentation are now available and the products from these fermentations are being commercialized. These compounds are solids, liquids, and gases; and some are toxic or unstable; and many will completely alter the markets into which they enter.
Amyris is seeking a Process Engineering II with an emphasis on applied industrial solutions, process conceptualization, design, scale-up, and operations. Experience with fermentation and many different unit operation in downstream processing (DSP) – centrifugation, filtration, evaporation & distillation, chromatography, adsorption, and crystallization – is highly desired. Likewise, experience in scale-up, manufacturing, and/or CMO management is highly desired. Finally, this critical position requires interactions with several disciplines, including research, fermentation & purification PD, engineering, and manufacturing/safety/quality organization – excellent interpersonal skills as a must!
- Display personal responsibility for individual as well as co-worker safety and maintaining safety as the highest priority by supporting and reinforcing procedures and policies.
- Articulate risk to proposed process execution and fit to the PD team based on experience and through the implementation of engineering techniques of mass and energy balances, cycle time analyses, etc.
- Support the development of equipment lists and CAPEX for process equipment modifications plus generate capital and variable cost estimates for DSP processes.
- Prepare project plans, time and resourcing estimates for developing processes for the recovery of products or biomass from fermentation broths
- Develop mass balances, process models, and cost estimates for new processes under development
- Support the development of process design (PFD’s) and engineering (P&ID) packages
- Use statistical tools to design and analyze experimental data efficiently for process scale-up and troubleshooting
- Respond as appropriate to technical support requests from our pilot plants, demonstration plants, and commercial facilities
- Write Development Reports, SOP’s and Technology Transfers and supporting the transfer of technology to Manufacturing sites
- Support process optimization & troubleshooting at manufacturing sites as needed
- Contribute to the direction and oversight of technology transfer teams
- Partner with the in-house development teams to give feedback on process development direction and build better scale-down models of the manufacturing operations.
- Contribute to the strategic development of Amyris Process Development and Manufacturing to ensure those teams are ready to efficiently build the Amyris systems and capabilities we need for the future.
Skills and requirements
- BS / MS in Chemical Engineering or related discipline with 2 – 6 years of relevant industry experience.
- Transfer of technology: Experience writing Development Reports, SOP’s and Technology Transfer Reports and following through the transfer to plant start-up.
- Hands-on experience with reactor systems and unit operations (10-1000 MT scale, including centrifugation, dead-end + cross flow filtration, evaporation chromatography, adsorption, and crystallization) and the design of equipment supporting those unit operations
- Industrial manufacturing experience.
- A background with fermentation is a plus.
- Travel will vary but could be as much as 25% on average
- Team-oriented, with problem solving skills and effective communication skills
- Embrace Amyris Core Values
Amyris, a leader in industrial synthetic biology, uses its innovative bioscience solutions to achieve renewable products by converting plant sugars into hydrocarbon molecules. Amyris’ molecules are used in wide range of specialty & performance chemicals, flavors & fragrances and in applications ranging from cosmetics to biofuels. Learn more at www.amyris.com
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (“CCPA”), Amyris is required to inform California residents who are our job applicants (“Applicants”) about the personal information we collect about you when you apply to a job on this site.
As an Applicant, you have the right to know and understand the categories of personal information we collect about you, and the purposes for which the categories of personal information shall be used, pursuant to the CCPA.
If you have any questions regarding this information, please contact Amyris at [email protected]
As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, Amyris is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Amyris complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
If you are a recruiter or placement agency, please do not submit resumes to any person or email address at Amyris, Inc. prior to having a signed agreement. Amyris is not liable for and will not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved recruitment partners. Furthermore, any resumes sent to us without an agreement in place will be considered your company’s gift to Amyris and may be forwarded to our recruiters for their attention.