Fellow began as a Kickstarter campaign and has grown into a global brand with distributors and customers in more than 50 countries. We bring the specialty coffee experience to people's homes via beautifully designed coffee ware that marries form and function. We currently have a small, passionate, and committed team that loves to see coffee tools come to life.
Fellow is hiring a Product Design Engineer to join our fast-growing team in San Francisco. This role will report to the Director of Product and be responsible for leading the design of our next generation of products from prototype to production. In this role you will be expected to contribute to the design of the product technically while also helping work through testing and documentation.
You will communicate cross functionally with the broader hardware team to design and build world class products in the specialty coffee space. We are a supportive team that continually tries to push and inspire each other to create products that people love to use and show off.
The Product Design Engineer will accomplish all of this while living out Fellowship Thinking, our leadership principles:
Fellowship Thinking centers our customers, always.
Fellowship Thinking views all goals as shared.
Fellowship Thinking never stops improving.
Fellowship Thinking says “yes, if”.
Fellowship Thinking deliberately seeks equity.
Please note this person is required to be located in the Bay Area. This is a hybrid position with 3 (Monday, Tuesday and Thursday) days in office. *Please note, there is no relocation.
- Lead product requirements creation including definition of use cases, user experience, and features
- Work with Category Management, Sales and Product Marketing to define product positioning and pricing within the category
- Collaborate with design partners to develop new award winning industrial designs
- Conduct benchmark analysis of competitor products
- Generate CAD models and proof of concept prototypes to help inform design down selection
- Work cross functionally with Engineering, Quality and Operations to define the product architecture, design specification, functional and visual criteria based on the product requirements
- Communicate design status, risks, test results, project timeline updates
- Design, build, prototype, and test until the product is considered viable
- Support production at contract manufacturers through NPI
- 4+ years of hardware experience in consumer electronics, home appliances, kitchen goods, or similar relevant industry
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering
- Deep understanding of how to build and manufacture hardware products at scale (injection molding, stamping, casting, tolerance analysis, etc.)
- Experience designing in CAD (We currently use Solidworks and OnShape)
- Hands on prototyping experience
- Knowledge of Design for Manufacturability and Design for Assembly
- Has successfully launched consumer hardware products
- Comfortable working with external partners in Asia and beyond
- Ability to travel up to 10%
- Competitive compensation including employee equity plan
- Generous paid time off plan
- 401k with company contribution after 6 months of employment
- Medical/dental/vision insurance
- Better Yourself Wellness credit & Better Your Community donation matching
- Generous discount on Fellow products
- Best coffee anywhere
Our highest goal at Fellow is creating a safe, inclusive, and rewarding environment where everyone can bring their whole selves to work and thrive. We are committed to building diverse teams and strongly encourage people from underrepresented groups, including but not limited to women, people of color, LGBTQIA+ individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply.
Fellow is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.