The Flexport Design team creates the end-to-end user experiences for our external clients, our internal operations teams, and our service partners such as airlines, ocean carriers, and trucking companies. As an integral part of the internal and external business, design and user experience is at the forefront of everything we do. In order to achieve first class experiences and easy to use solutions, design is required to partner closely with cross functional team members which include Researchers, Product Managers, Engineers, and Data Scientists. Designers are embedded within product teams but the design team comes together throughout the week for critique in order to elevate the standard of design across products. We are looking for a strong and highly motivated intern to join our team for Summer 2020 and help live our mission of making global trade easy for everyone.
As a Product Design Intern, you’ll report directly to a Design Manager under a specific product area, enabling you to take on a project from ideation through execution. This will give you the opportunity to ship meaningful contributions for the company while helping you build out your portfolio as a product designer and having a fantastic internship experience in the process of doing so.
- Own and execute a design project from concept through delivery that will ship to production.
- Work with Researchers to conduct user research and gather data insights with their guidance.
- Build prototypes to share and test concepts with stakeholders.
- Deliver user centered design solutions within a fast paced and growing environment.
- Participate in design critique by giving and receiving feedback to fellow designers.
- Collaborate and work across functions including research, product, engineering, and data teams.
- Be part of a close-knit design team.
You will get:
- A competitive salary
- Coaching, guidance and critique from a mentor to help you grow as a designer
- Your flight to and from San Francisco
- Housing peace of mind — we know the metropolitan market is crazy, so we'll take care of finding and funding housing
- Daily catered lunches — and breakfast & snacks to boot
- Easy access to our downtown office. We’re conveniently located in the heart of the city, close to public transit and near the best bars & restaurants the city has to offer
- A calendar of team events and offsites to allow you to get to know your teammates
You should have:
- A strong portfolio that demonstrates design principles for web platforms.
- Dedication to learning from users and a solid understanding of user research methods.
- Knowledge of visual design fundamentals including layout, color, and typography.
- Familiarity with design tools such as Figma or Sketch.
- Pursuing an MS or MA in Interaction Design, Human Computer Interaction, User Experience, User Interface Design, or Cognitive Science.
- A minimum of twelve weeks of full-time availability—this internship has a start date in May/June 2019
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s freight forwarding and why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination and shipment of goods from one place to another and it’s what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.