About the company
Robinhood is democratizing finance for all. With customers at the heart of our decisions, Robinhood is lowering barriers, removing fees, and providing greater access to financial information. Together, we are building products and services that help create a financial system everyone can participate in.
Robinhood is a fast-growing company and was recognized as a CNBC Disruptor 50 and a LinkedIn Top Startup in 2019. We’re continuing to grow and are looking for incredible talent that can help us achieve our mission.
About the role
Robinhood is looking for a Design Manager to lead a team of talented product designers and drive innovation in our Cash space. Our team’s focus is to create world-class experiences for our users, and re-envisioning the financial space by making retail banking a thing of the past. This individual will be responsible for providing design direction, mentoring and giving career guidance, supporting multiple large scale design initiatives, and facilitating cross-functional partnerships across our product and engineering teams. This person will propagate a strong design practice, influence product strategy, and impact our product execution and quality. Ultimately, enabling their team to execute and deliver best-in-class work.
About the Cash team
We’re transforming Robinhood from a ‘focused trading app’ to the only financial app that customers need daily. In a few years, Robinhood will be synonymous with ‘personal finance.’ More than half of our new users in the United States will be signing up for something other than investing. Our team focuses on three core categories:
- Balances: Building the foundation for daily money
- Spending: Making Robinhood a top of wallet spending product.
- Transfers: Making Robinhood the first place for users to deposit their money.
Your day-to-day will involve
- Recruiting and hiring a world-class design team
- Managing, mentoring, and inspiring a team of product designers, providing design direction and pushing the quality of the design work
- Pushing the boundaries of your team’s UX/UI/visual execution and exploring divergent concepts
- Influencing product strategy and design execution in the Cash space across iOS, Android, web, and email
- Leading and representing the Cash team effectively - substantiating the work and the decisions behind them, and advocating for user-centered design
- Building cross-functional relationships and advocating for the needs of the Robinhood design studio
- Accelerating team efficiency by improving processes and establishing workflows that help the design and cross-functional team create new solutions or inform principled risk-taking.
- Guiding in areas outside of design (e.g., engineering, product, marketing, strategy, copy)
- Helping the design team with planning, prioritizing, and overseeing initiatives; managing projects; managing and scoping team initiatives; setting priorities, and directing the team to ensure timely delivery
- Representing the Cash Product Design team within Robinhood and externally. Building connections with the greater design community
Some things we consider critical for this role
- Background in product design (UX/UI), with experience across mobile and web products
- Ability to think big and understand complex feature sets
- A track record of leading design teams through successful product launches across iOS, Android, and mobile web
- Strong information design experience with a solid foundation in UX design heuristics
- Experience recruiting, hiring, and retaining multi-disciplinary design teams
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Deep knowledge and applied experience in graphic design (layout, typography, color)
- Applied experience with design tools: Sketch, Illustrator, Photoshop
- Applied experience with prototyping tools: Framer, Principle, Origami, HTML/CSS/JS, After Effects, Swift
- Superb attention to detail
- Ability to work well on an ego-free, highly collaborative, and cross-functional team
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic startup environment
- Humility - Openly inviting feedback and genuinely engaging when critique is provided
- Being a servant leader. Working for your direct reports to set them up for success through open communication, collaboration, and mentorship. Building up your team by providing room to develop and giving healthy, constructive feedback.
Feeling ready to give 100% to democratizing finance for all? We’d love to have you apply, even if you feel unsure about whether you meet every single requirement in this posting. At Robinhood, we’re looking for people invigorated by our mission, not just those who simply check off all the boxes.