Disqus enables great online communities all over the web. We are the web's community of communities and millions of people use Disqus to actively discover and participate in topics that they love. Our design-first approach has had a lot to do with that success.
Design influences every product decision we make, and extends far deeper than surface-level visuals. We design to simplify and refine every interaction with Disqus – from a great reading experience to enabling first-time commenters to add their voice with as little friction possible; from discovering vibrant communities on the Web to making the Disqus experience great on any device.
We never stop asking questions. We don’t let conventional axioms or technical hurdles prevent us from dreaming big. We bring our ideas to life in working side-by-side with a world-class engineering team that shares our enthusiasm for design. We love what we do, and we have fun doing it.
We’re looking for an exceptional designer to join the Disqus family.
What you'll do
- A portfolio of exceptional, innovative design work, including self-started projects
- Exceptional visual, interaction, and product design talent
- Solid understanding of design principles
- Experience designing for metrics-based goals and a good track record of hitting them
- Great design presentation skills, from the ability to walk through design thinking, to storytelling, to rolling with critical feedback
- Advanced knowledge of Photoshop, Illustrator, and similar, conventional tools
- The ability to design without the above-listed conventional tools if communicating an idea is more effectively done in a web browser, with pencil & paper, Keynote, video, or on a mobile device
- Solid, working knowledge of HTML & CSS
- Experience talking directly to users to gather structured usability feedback
What we’re looking for
- A knack for showing, rather than telling
- The energy to showcase new ideas and galvanize a group around a problem or concept
- The desire to work in a self-driven environment – you’ll always have support, but you may not always have all the details finalized before getting started
- Experience designing for mobile devices
- An analytical mind that isn’t afraid to dive into data and numbers
- An insatiable curiosity for learning new things
- Experience both giving and receiving collaborative design feedback
- No fear of a Terminal prompt
What you’ll get from us
- The opportunity to make enormous impact on our business. We boast one of the largest user to employee ratios in the biz (hovering around 22 million users per employee!)
- A chance to join a community of people who are passionate about great discussions -- and are building the best place on the web to talk about things that matter.
- A company culture that values learning from one another, exhibiting a generous spirit, and bringing our authentic selves to work. Our collective breadth of experience allows us to make a bigger impact -- we are greater than the sum of our parts.
- Generous total compensation packages for each employee. Some highlights include fully-covered health, dental and vision plans; flexible work hours and unlimited PTO, including up to 12 weeks of paid parental leave; and competitive salary and stock options.
- Perks to keep you at your best, including daily catered lunch and a fully stocked kitchen, weekly in-office yoga and massage, a bountiful equipment and workstation policy, and access to resources to help you learn, from a learning stipend to a well-stocked library.
- Great office location in SoMa, which is easily accessible by BART, MUNI, Caltrain and Transbay buses.
We love the internet, and the colorful characters and interesting conversations that make up its diverse communities. Disqus exists to make better communities and an even better web. Today, our product ecosystem includes our established comment network (over 3 million websites that cover pretty much any topic imaginable), a growing advertising network, and our owned and operated platform. Originally founded in 2007 by CEO Daniel Ha and CTO Jason Yan, we’re changing the way people get into discussions about the things they love -- or are just curious about. Come join us!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.