We're looking for a mid-senior level Product Designer who wants to get in on the ground floor at a top startup, while solving the #1 challenge for every CEO: hiring the best talent. We’re looking for a user-centered and creative decision-maker to help inform, drive, and execute our product roadmap. We have a product that users love; you will work closely with leadership to continue to translate the vision into the next level of product strategy.
Recruiting is a hot market, growing 12-15% y/y on its own, and applicant tracking systems like Lever are in high demand. At the same time, hiring has never been more competitive and costly, making talent solutions that improve a company’s hiring ROI incredibly valuable.
We’re building a world-class, product-first organization and assembling the right team to begin scaling aggressively. This is an opportunity for someone who wants to be part of something big and transformative, someone who will play a critical role in driving our success.
Design is one of Lever’s core competencies, and as our Product Designer, you’ll lead the way. We believe that bringing well-designed user experiences to the workplace will be the key to displacing the stale and broken status-quo of enterprise software. Grounded in a user-centered methodology, you should be ready to employ a range of strategies and tools to solve design challenges across the board. Lever’s current design team are “full-stack generalists,” able to both define and solve problems. Understanding our users is core to what we do, and we regularly interview and test with users on-site and remotely to explore, create, and evaluate features. And we’re as closely integrated with engineering as you’d expect at a fast-moving startup.
You’ll be leading projects that range from feature improvements or additions to explorations with high ambiguity that demand innovation. So you get the details right with every interaction and UI element you specify, while also being excited to think through complex problems, systems, and experiences to pinpoint the key insights that should drive a solution forward.
The constraints you’ll be considering cover a huge surface area, including: multiple user groups, varying company size, limited development resources, and engineering complexity. As such, you’ll be working closely with Sales, Customer Success, Product, and Engineering teams and communicating with them to make holistic decisions. Compelling storytelling and clear communication are a big part of your job, perhaps the most crucial value you’ll add to shaping Lever. Design’s recommendation carries huge weight in our team; you’ll be empowered to make Lever into an exemplary app that people love to use.
To-date, we’ve focused on bringing collaboration to Lever through design principles like these:
-Create shared workspaces to share goals
-Design for humans, not data entry
-Drive action with transparency
WITHIN 3 MONTHS, YOU'LL...
- Attend and graduate from our company-wide on-boarding Ramp Camp where you will learn about Lever’s values, business, and product
- Get to know the processes, tools, and systems the design team uses
- Have one-on-ones with members of design, engineering, and product teams to learn how design fits into the product-development process
- Participate in weekly design reviews and give feedback on other team members’ in-progress work
- Deeply understand our users and their needs through participating in user research. You’ll go on-site and talk directly with recruiters, coordinators, and hiring managers to learn about the challenges they face
- Learn about the customer journey by observing sales and customer success interactions. You’ll become familiar with the personas in the buying process and that use the product, and what their backgrounds and needs are
- Know every corner of our app. You’ll get a sense of our strengths and identify opportunities for improvement
- Design, launch, and measure the impact of an improvement to an existing feature. You’ll understand the current state of the functionality and the unmet need; explore ways to iterate and build on what is there; and converge on the best solution given what you’ve learned
WITHIN 6 MONTHS, YOU'LL...
- Research, design, and launch a product feature from start to end as the primary design owner. You will lead and execute the design phase and partner with product and engineering to ensure that the right MVP is built and launched.
- Collaborate with marketing to translate design insights into compelling product marketing in the form of naming, sales training, feature announcements, blog posts, etc.
- With product, report on the outcomes of one of your product launches to the product team. You will discuss how well goals and hypotheses were met, and what learnings to use in the next iteration.
- Mentor and coach team members to help develop design, professional, and interpersonal skills
WITHIN 12 MONTHS, YOU'LL...
- Own and drive the definition and design of a major R&D product initiative. Translate company vision and product strategy into high-confidence and innovative new product development
- Be able to advocate/defend the design view of what is right to others in the organization—even if it comes to conflict/disagreement with CEO—with professionalism, maturity, and a balanced, holistic view of any competing viewpoints
- Proactively identify and unblock knowledge sharing and communication challenges to unlock a scalable design organization
- Educate, mentor and train team members across the entire company on design methodology and philosophy
- Participate in the growth of the design team as a sourcer, recruiter, interviewer, and hiring manager. Help to refine how we find and evaluate the best talent to join our team
- Attend an external industry event where you will evangelize Lever’s product, mission, and design culture
THE LEVER STORY
Lever builds modern recruiting software for teams to source, interview, and hire top talent. Our team strives to set a new bar for enterprise software with modern, well-designed, real-time apps. We participated in Y Combinator in summer 2012, and since then have raised $73 million. As the applicant tracking system of choice for Netflix, Lyft, Eventbrite, ClearSlide, change.org, and thousands more leading companies, Lever means you hire the best by hiring together.