We're looking for someone to join our product team that has a genuine interest in improving the higher education admissions process for both programs and applicants to create a world served by exceptional professionals. This person would want to act as the voice of our customers and understand their problems. They would be collaborating with multiple internal stakeholders and customers as appropriate in order to develop solutions that solve those problems.
This is a full-time role reporting to the Director of Product.
We want to create a world served by exceptional professionals, and we do that by helping academic institutions find holistically stronger applicants by looking beyond metrics of “book smart”. Think of us like an “SAT” that evaluates who you are instead of what you know. Our main assessment, the CASPer test, is used widely for high stakes admissions to Healthcare Training, Teachers Education and other academic programs in Canada, the US and as far away as Australia. As an example, in 2019 we will assess well over 100,000 applicants including 80% of all US and Canadian Medical School applicants.
Who we are
We’re a quirky, vibrant and diverse group of ~50 working out of the OneEleven scale-up hub in the downtown core of Toronto. We tackle some tough problems (like how to evaluate empathy in someone who wants to become a doctor), and some less tough ones (like what to bring in for the communal snack table).
Our core values are caring, curious, and driven, and we embody these values in everything that we do. We genuinely care about the well-being of others, we possess an innate desire to continuously learn, and every day we strive to be better than the professional we were the day before.
People who do well here are caring, humble, prefer change over the status-quo, are comfortable with “fuzzy” (vs well defined) tasks, and are ok with a daily helping of problem solving. We all have a healthy appetite for learning, and love to share our knowledge with our co-workers. We want people who put “we before me”.
What would you be doing?
Discovery and Design:
- Collaborating with the development team and various stakeholders, including research, operations, customer success and sales to define new products, as well as confirming the validity of existing product
- Interviewing internal and external stakeholders/customers to discover product needs
- Defining problems after really understanding the “why”, and gathering detailed requirements from stakeholders and customers
- Collaborating with design to test and iterate on wireframes, mockups, and prototypes until they are ready for execution and delivery
- Understanding and communicating the business requirements of our products and gathering business, domain, industry and market knowledge
Execution and Delivery:
- Breaking down solution designs into workable chunks (epics, user stories and tasks) in collaboration with stakeholders and dev team
- Advocating, updating, and communicating the product roadmap across teams at Altus
- Prioritizing the product development pipeline to ensure the development team is set up with what they should be working on next in order to best meet our customer needs
- Providing clarifications necessary on stories and epics to assist the dev team with their estimates and story sequencing
- Owning the backlog and collaborating with team members for backlog refinement
- Communicating features and release plans with internal stakeholders, and ensuring everyone is trained and understands new features as they are rolled out
- User testing features at various stages of development to ensure we are delivering and releasing value added updates and features
- Assisting the development team with refining the dev process to ensure they are getting what they need from product
- Assisting with scaling our products, processes, and team as we grow
- Ensuring we are making good product decisions through data and metrics, pushing for product change and advancement when needed as the business grows
- Challenging ideas and what we decide to work on to always ensure we’re working on the right things for our customers and our business, in the right way, and not just for today but with the future in mind as well.
- 2+ years working in a product team in some capacity at a SaaS based B2B or B2C company
- Excellent and effective communication skills including being able to inform and advise a diverse set of both technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Able to work independently, cross functionally and influence decisions across the organization
- Able to self-direct and make logical decisions when faced with ambiguity and/or time and/or resource constraints
- Passionate about delivering a great experience to the end user and addressing customer needs
- Experience working within an agile framework and collaborating closely with software developers and QA
- Ability to conduct solution workshops with a variety of stakeholders in order to design a solution to a given problem
- Detail oriented and excellent organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to turn analytics into actionable insights
- A team-first, highly collaborative and get-things-done mindset
Other traits of our ideal candidate:
- Able to live our core values of Caring, Creative Problem Solving, Reliability, and Drive to help us attain our goal of creating a world full exceptional professionals
- We need someone who is a self-starter, highly curious about how the business works, and be able to help us focus where it counts
- Has loosely held, strong opinions - knows why they want what they want, but is also abundantly humble, can be wrong, and wants to seek out the best solution, no matter the source
- Looking for a long-term relationship at a growing company
- Interested in being part of an amazing, caring team, and wants to build a sustainable, high growth business
- Domain experience in higher education or admissions would be a bonus
- Free snacks, drinks, and coffee in our office
- $1500 annual personal and professional development budget
- Self directed vacation policy (1 week per quarter is typical)
- Comprehensive health, dental and life insurance coverage
- RRSP Matching Program
- Extended Parental leave coverage - 4 months topped up to 80% of your salary
- Private space for prayer, pumping or other wellness needs
- Team building and social events
The Hiring Process
Our hiring process optimizes for a positive candidate experience. The general hiring process looks like the following:
Pre-screen. When you submit your application, it is sent directly to the hiring manager who will screen the application.
First phone call. If selected, our hiring manager will schedule a time for the first phone screen, which typically lasts about 30 minutes. The manager will ask you some general interview questions such as why you are interested in this role and then may ask for you to elaborate on some parts of your application.
On-site team interview. Once you pass the first phone screen, we will schedule an on-site team interview, where you will meet with 4-6 members of our team to assess your technical skills and cultural fit. You may also be asked to complete a short task which closely mirrors some aspects of the role. The in-person interview takes about 2-3 hours.
Final phone call. Once all the members have met and shared their thoughts, the hiring manager will consolidate this information and let you know of their decision. We may need to ask you a few more questions if there were any areas that needed a bit more expanding.
Altus is proud to be a diverse and equal opportunity employer and as such does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex, national origins, age, sexual orientation, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws. Selection decisions are based solely on job-related factors. Special accommodations for candidates with disabilities can be made during the interview process if requested.