We’re Ocado Technology. We architect and build ground-breaking, game-changing technology solutions that power Ocado, the world's largest online-only grocery retailer. We don’t do off-the- shelf. We don’t do basic. Because we’re writing, building and running all our own software systems, we’re constantly pushing the limits of what technology can do. And when we say ‘we’, we mean ‘you’. Join us and you’ll work across a phenomenal breadth of technology, with incredibly smart people, to create reliable, resilient, scalable and optimised software systems.
The main purpose of this role is envisioning the future of internal systems and working with stakeholders, development teams and users to realise it. The environment is one of Agile Development with Scrum based teams and high focused approach to constant delivery of high value, working software.
At the core of this position is the Product Manager role in the Scrum development methodology. This includes managing the product backlog, benefit analysis, minimum viable product, prioritisation, acceptance criteria and reviewing completed work. It requires a close working relationship with both internal customers and development teams. You will be responsible for building brand of your internal products.
You must be technically competent to be able to understand the systems, and prioritise and work with business users and developers to decide product direction. However you must be comfortable allowing the development teams to come up with the solutions, while you will be their knowledge base and proxy for the business.
You will have responsibility for:
- Developing the product vision and strategy to drive our internal platform and apps forward
- Building strong relationships with engineers, internal users and stakeholders
- Developing a deep understanding of the uses and potential of our software products
- Product backlog management, including defining user stories and prioritisation
- Working with the stakeholders to prioritise stories to maximise business value created by the development teams for your product
- Maintaining the development teams focus on delivering value, balancing multiple streams of requirements so that they can concentrate on what they do best: creating a great product!
- Working with development teams in review sessions
- Promoting the value of your product in the organisation
Facilitating development by working with design and UX teams to ensure the developers have the things they need to keep moving forwards
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE
- Constantly be monitoring progress, looking for ways to improve the product and make adjustments based on strategic goals
- Degree or equivalent in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Information Technology or similar technical degree
- Demonstrable experience of working in an agile scrum environment, ideally as a PM, but possibly as an agile coach or a similar role.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Strong business skills.
- An understanding and appreciation for software development and design, solid technical skillset.
- A strong track record in internal software development sectors.
- Strong technical skills and an analytical mind set.
- Previous experience in a Product Development role
- Track record delivering high quality software that meets business needs in a timely fashion.
- Experience in estimating the value of software features, and in cost-benefit analysis and constructing business cases.
- Experience of managing a product backlog
- Innovation & Problem Solving - able to solve complex problems, participates in continuous improvement, adapts the ideas of others
- Teamwork – works well with others and actively contributes towards team objectives
Communication & Impact – strong verbal and written communication, robust interaction with internal stakeholders and other members of the team.
- Productivity, Drive & Achievement – proactive approach, gets things done, demonstrates accountability and ownership, prioritising own workload
- Technical Excellence – demonstrates intellectual rigour, possesses relevant abilities and is able to pick up new skills quickly
- Business awareness – ability to apply learned skills, awareness beyond immediate area/role
- Adaptability - working under pressure, flexible, positive and focused during times of chan
- Permanent Contract
- Multi Sport Card
- Medical Insurance
- Life assurance
- Lunch Vouchers
- Training and Development opportunities
Equal Opportunity Employer
Ocado are an equal opportunities employer and as such make every effort to ensure that all potential employees are treated fairly and equally, regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status.