The product manager for Chemistry and Materials Tech development will be responsible for product management functions of Zymergen’s Technology platform that enable chemistry and materials development workflows. This role will involve a significant amount of interaction with our materials R&D staff (organic chemists, polymer/material scientists, data scientists and software engineers), and require interfacing with several internal and external parties. The ideal candidate has prior experience working at the interface of science and software, and a solid understanding of chemistry and its application to materials development and characterization.
Specific activities include:
Product strategy and roadmap
- Develop an understanding and long term vision for streamlined chemistry- and materials-development workflows that will enable Zymergen to build a robust pipeline of novel materials and products.
- Develop quarterly and semi-annual roadmaps and ensure their alignment with corporate goals, the technology department vision, and stakeholder needs.
- Create business cases to justify strategic investments in your product area and present it to stakeholders and cross-functional team leaders
- Evangelize the product vision and roadmap and serve as a point of contact for Technology products within your portfolio.
- Manage backlogs across product areas and ensure that all feature requests and defects are considered during quarterly prioritization.
- Ensure that cross-team dependencies are identified and priorities communicated appropriately.
- Engage with users to understand chemistry and materials lab workflows, pain points, gaps, and bottlenecks, Develop and prioritize user stories and high-level requirements for these product areas.
- Manage user and stakeholder communications. Communicate progress and incorporate feedback into the product development process. Ensure that products and features delivered meet user requirements.
- Identify and remove roadblocks(related to process, dependencies) to ensure on-time delivery of new features/products.
- Participate in bi-weekly sprint planning sessions as a product owner and guide the planning, goals, scope, and prioritization of sprints and tasks within sprints.
- Communicate new software features and updates to users and help with product rollout.
- Drive product adoption and ensure integration of these products by users into their workflows.
- BS or graduate degree in Chemistry, Polymer Science, Materials Science, Chemical Engineering or similar relevant field
- 2+ years software product management experience.
- Proficiency in a variety of chemistry and materials R&D software
- Exposure to materials development and characterization lab workflows and data management.
- Experience with complex software / data products
- Ability to deal with ambiguity, clear thinker, can pick signals from noise
- Ability to prioritize - understand business value, risks, and tradeoffs to effectively prioritize various initiatives
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Effective at communicating with applications scientists, software engineers, data scientists and management/execs
Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. Zymergen may agree to sponsor an individual for an employment visa now or in the future if there is a shortage of individuals with particular skills for this job.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
Founded in 2013 and headquartered in the SF Bay Area, Zymergen is a science and material innovation company rethinking biology and reimagining the world. A World Economic Forum Tech Pioneer, Zymergen partners with nature to create never-before imagined materials and products across industries – from agriculture to consumer electronics, personal care to pharmaceuticals, and more. The company’s materials are in use today, creating value for Fortune 1000 companies and major corporations across the globe. Our clients have sold over $1 billion worth of products using Zymergen microbial strains. For more information visit: www.zymergen.com.