BuzzFeed is looking for a product manager to focus on building tools to support the teams who create and distribute video. The ideal candidate is someone who is as happy discussing the details of video production workflows as they are thinking strategically about what products we’re building and why. You should be a proactive, collaborative, detail-oriented person who has a demonstrated ability to launch products with great user experience.
BuzzFeed is a company that believes in smart experimentation, agility, autonomy, mutual respect and having fun. If that sounds good to you, come work with us!
This position is based in our Los Angeles offices, and we offer competitive compensation and a stock option program.
What you'll do:
- Own the product vision, strategy and roadmap for the Video Production & Packaging team, in close collaboration with your teammates and key stakeholders from around the company.
- Learn and understand the ins and outs of our current suite of video tools, and the workflow of the various groups who create and publish videos.
- Work with your team and video creators to conceptualize new features and improvements to our video production and package tools, using feedback and research to help guide your priorities and decisions.
- Manage relationships and communicate with groups both within Tech and in other departments to keep people informed about the team’s plans and progress.
- Write clear and concise product specs, feature cards, and product documentation.
- Manage the launch of new features and products, and ensure your users have the training and support they need to use our tools effectively.
- Diagnose bugs and work to get them resolved quickly.
- Anticipate the rapidly changing needs of videos producers at BuzzFeed, and identify the most important issues that your team will need to solve.
- You are a creative thinker with innovative product ideas that solve real and important problems. When you identify problems, you have the judgment to know which ones are worth solving, and the discipline to ignore the rest.
- You are a collaborative worker and a great communicator. You’re good at bringing people together and building relationships across the organization, enabling you, your team and others to get things done. People enjoy working with you, and you bring out the best in your team.
- You obsess over how people work. You love talking to users, watching them work and finding ways to let them get their work done easily, efficiently and intelligently.
- You love building well-designed tools and have a strong sense of what makes a great user experience.
- You excel at taking the seed of an idea and thinking through all the details to create a well-considered plan for a new feature or product. You have a good sense of which features are essential for a product launch and which ones can be scaled back or done later, and you focus the team on the key priorities.
- You are able to switch between big-picture strategic thinking and the rapid execution of a near-term roadmap.
- You care about data and metrics. You love digging into data and extracting meaningful insights, then using those insights to make smart product decisions.
- You have a good understanding of the technical requirements of projects and product, and you can clearly recognize the challenges and opportunities presented by different solutions.
- You enjoy working with distributed teams and are an extraordinary communicator in every medium — from Slack to video conferencing to in-person gatherings.
- Bonus points if you have worked in video, film or tv production, and have a strong understanding of the production needs and workflows of video producers.