Vox Media is redefining the modern media company by empowering the smartest voices with the technology and insights to create and distribute premium content that connects with an audience of 165 million people, who look to us for intelligent content experiences in many forms.
Vox Media is eight distinct media brands: The Verge (Technology and Culture), Vox.com (General News), SB Nation (Sports), Polygon (Gaming), Eater (Food and Nightlife), Racked (Shopping, Beauty and Fashion), Curbed (Real Estate and Home), and Recode (Tech Business).
About the Role:
Vox Media is seeking a Programming Manager, Conferences, to join its fast-growing Vox Media Conferences team. This is the team that produces the highly-regarded Code conference series (https://events.recode.net), and is now expanding its editorial slate to include brand-new conferences and other paid-ticket consumer experiences (i.e. festivals) across Vox Media’s brands. This person will join the conference programming and development team, specifically responsible for event programming, in addition to speaker curation and agenda management, for a portfolio of conferences and events.
This role will report directly into the Director of Conference Development and Programming and will work closely with other key stakeholders in the Vox Media conference division (i.e. marketing, sales/sponsorships, event operations). In addition, this person will be expected to collaborate with various departments within Vox Media (i.e. editorial and brand identity) to program conferences and events that embody the distinct brand we are working with, along with its mission, and to leverage subject expertise and resources.
- Lead speaker research, cultivation, and recruitment; this person will have full oversight of the day-to-day relationship management/building with confirmed speakers (and their teams) in the leadup to our conferences
- Work alongside the director of conference development and programming to create a “must-participate” strategy for speakers, leveraging the resources and working directly with several departments at Vox Media including editorial, video, and public relations
- Manage and catalog inbound pitches for event sessions and speakers, with the opportunity to be involved in relationship-building meetings post idea evaluation
- Develop and manage an internal speaker/programming database so that we can track our relationship with speakers (and their teams) post-event
- Develop specific session ideas, new session formats, and other “outside the box” stage ideas and experiences for the conference division, while working collaboratively with key members of Vox Media’s editorial teams and the director of conference programming and development
- Work closely with the director of conference programming and development, and the conference marketing team, to create appropriate messaging to attendees about the who, what, where, why our specific events are “must-attend”
- Working alongside the conference team, assist in creating and maintaining external-facing documents and collateral about our events [this includes: event website, programs, and related one-sheet program overviews]
- Assist the director of conference development and programming with internal updates and communications about upcoming events to various Vox Media stakeholders: including speaker outreach and other programming updates
- Serve as an ambassador of the Vox Media Conferences brand: this role will include some travel to Vox Media’s annual conferences to oversee programming elements and to manage relationships on-site
- Build a strong understanding of Vox Media’s brands, and the conference division’s products, especially as it relates to other competitive organizations and events
Required skills and experience:
3-4 years working directly with journalists, editors and other content creators in the technology, food, fashion, entertainment and/or design space: you will need to feel comfortable pitching ideas to multiple stakeholders
- Superior verbal and communication skills, with proven success managing C-level and VIP relationships, handlers, etc.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and the ability to multi-task many projects at once
- Strong writing, editing, and project management skills
- BA/BS in communications, journalism, or an applicable liberal arts field
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office, Adobe InDesign and Photoshop
- Capable of motivating people and achieving success
- Comfortable and proactive with changing priorities on the fly
- Excellent time management skills, with the understanding that sometimes this role will go beyond a 9am-5pm role
- Experience in booking guests for television or radio outlet is a plus!
- A hard-working and positive “can-do” attitude
- Deadline driven: able to juggle many (and overlapping) deadlines for various projects
- The ability to keep calm and problem-solve
- Flexible mindset to take on other responsibilities outside of the job-role when they arise, and when priorities shift
- The ability to work well on a team, and across divisions, with the mentality to shift into a self-starter and team-leader when needed
- Must be reliable and prompt
- Must be able to inspire trust among colleagues, with a positive and pleasant attitude, in all levels and areas of the company
- Adept at working in a distributed organization, where many work remotely
Interested candidates must submit a resume/CV to be considered and references
- Must be willing to submit to a background investigation
- Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States
Vox Media is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a safe, inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds. Everyone is encouraged to apply, including women, LGBTQ people, people of color, and people with disabilities