ABOUT KHAN ACADEMY
Khan Academy is a fast-paced, nonprofit startup on a mission to provide a free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere. We already reach millions of students every month and are growing rapidly. We’re building a library of world-class instructional and practice resources that empowers learners. Whether they’re studying matrices, mitosis, or multivariable calculus, we want to offer students the resources to realize that they can learn anything.
ABOUT KHAN ACADEMY INDIA
Khan Academy India aims to deliver a world class user experience that is locally relevant to learners in India and is enabled by a strong on-the-ground team and operations. Our learning system is mastery based, which allows students to master key concepts at a pace that is right for them before moving on to more challenging content. From serving under 500,000 learners in 2016, we are now serving almost 4 million learners a month across our websites, apps and youtube channels. These learners include both independent learners accessing us at home and teacher directed learners in schools. Our focus is to reach the underserved by making our content accessible in local languages and by working with large public school systems. Khan Academy is available in Hindi, Hinglish, Kannada, Gujarati, Bangla, Tamil and Punjabi.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are looking for an organized, detail oriented Accountant to join our team. The Accountant has responsibility for providing financial and accounting support services to meet the needs of our growing organization and grant-funded projects.
- Lead accounts payable end-to-end. Own our day-to-day expense transactions including paying vendors and maintaining the expense reporting system. Ensure costs are tagged to the correct account, department and grant-funded project and properly approved by managers.\
- Manage equipment for the organization, including ownership of the capital assets budget. Issue equipment to the team. Arrange for warranties and repairs when necessary. Own the fixed assets register. Ensure proper accounting for additions, disposals and monthly depreciation. Lead the asset verification procedures.
- Support month-end close activities, including reconciliations of accounts such as cash, prepaid expenses, fixed assets, accounts payable and accrued expenses.
- Assist with financial report preparation.
- Assist with audit requirements.
- As part of a small team, provide backup and support to team members as necessary.
- Assist with the creation of new systems and processes as the organization continues to evolve and grow.
- Contribute to other projects, as needed.
- 2 years of relevant experience
- Proficiency in financial, accounting and spreadsheet (Excel) programs
- A roll-up-your sleeves mindset as part of a four-person Fin Ops team
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (both verbal and written)
- To be motivated by the Khan Academy mission “to provide a free world-class education for anyone, anywhere”
- High level of ethics, integrity, transparency, and trustworthiness
- Availability to work from our office in New Delhi, India
IT’S AN ADDED PLUS IF YOU HAVE…
- Experience with cloud-based accounting software such as Sage Intacct, Bill.com, and Expensify
- Nonprofit or development sector industry exposure
- Chartered Accountant (CA) or individual is aspiring to CA candidacy
YOU’LL BE SUCCESSFUL IF...
- You double and triple-check your work because you know that accurate data is crucial for the Fin Ops team to operate successfully.
- You are a self-starter. You work just as hard and meticulously by yourself as you do when someone is looking. You can “plan the work” and “work the plan.”
- You can multitask because you keep things in order. You're timely and you leave breadcrumbs so others could figure out how you got the job done.
- You can effectively work with others, both internally and externally, to get the job done right. You use sound judgment and know to follow up to ensure everyone is on the same page.
PERKS AND BENEFITS
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our talented team like a for-profit.
- Competitive salaries
- Remote-friendly workplace, i.e. option to work from home, flexible schedules
- Health insurance and wellness benefits
- Retirement plan benefit
- A generous professional development stipend
- Paid time off and parental leave
- Fun virtual events
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.
This is a grant-funded position and is based on available funding.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or veteran status.