Wikimedia Foundation is seeking an experienced high tech administrative coordinator to support our growing Engineering Team. This role will deliver varied administrative tasks and requests for the Engineering team. The effective assistant will provide quality day-to-day administrative support for a diverse technical group in the areas of scheduling, communication, small to medium (6-30 people) team offsites, expense and contract approval workflows, and general on site support for our global engineering staff. This position will work primarily on site in our SF office with two additional engineering support professionals. This position supports engineering staff and leadership both in our offices as well as contractors working remotely around the globe.
We’d like you to do this:
- Manage and publish team calendar and scheduling
- Prepare expense reconciliation, visa documentation, travel logistics
- Write, edit and publish correspondence, wiki announcements, and tech meeting notes
- Host and prepare communications and work space for contracting staff, volunteers and other guests
- Coordinate successful contract and new hire workflow processes
- Manage meetings, equipment needs, trainings, and small events, as well as contribute to larger organizational events
- Coordinate staff travel and approvals with Travel team
- Coordinate and support off-site event planning
- Coordinate staff, volunteer, contractor on-boarding, training schedule, and off-boarding
- Communicate effectively on all levels to assure services and needs being met and managed
- Contribute effectively and work as a team within engineering admin and larger administrative team
- Commitment to learning and applying new tools and systems to meet team and organizational goals
- Accept assignments and projects covering a wide range of coordination, communication and logistical support.
We’d like you to have these skills:
- 5+ years of demonstrated full time employment performing relevant support work in like-kind team/organization
- 2+ years supporting teams in a high tech environment, engineering teams preferred
- BA/BS degree
- Strong grasp of word processing, spreadsheet and presentation programs with ability to learn and adjust to open source software. Libre office and Wiki text,
- Understanding of s/w, user and tech deployment and support vocabulary
- Demonstrated experience supporting teams with basic h/w and a/v needs
- Demonstrated experience with performing a variety of s/w formatting needs to meet open source values and applications
- Experience with open source s/w, international staff and online volunteer communities a plus
- Technical Skills: Technically savvy, able to use and troubleshoot administrative programs & systems. Demonstrates proficiency by quickly learning new technology and easily acquiring new technical skills.
- Judgement: Understands policy and controls and quickly refers problems/issues to the appropriate person(s). Ability to ask for help and seek advice.
- Team Player: Works as a competent, collaborative member of the team, and willingly provides back -up support for co-workers and contributes to team development.
- Adaptability: Must be flexible, quick to learn new skills/knowledge, handle rapid change effectively in a fast-paced environment. Demonstrates the ability to take direction, coordinate multiple projects, and manage conflicting priorities without loss of composure.
- Service: Experience in roles that draw upon the need to support and lead, participate and contribute, and work collaboratively and independently. Employs a strong sense of self to work and thrive in a support environment.
- Organization: Excellent organizational skills & constant attention to detail. These skills are critical in the management of time, space, task, and projects.
- Communication: Possess excellent written & verbal communication skills. Understands the most important aspect of communication is listening and closing the loop on assigned work.
- Produces well thought out professional written emails/communication.
- Proactivity: Ability to solve administrative and logistical problems by offering and implementing recommendations. Uses analytical skills and a broad understanding of responsibilities to effectively interpret needs and resolve issues. Demonstrates the ability to foresee problems and prevent them by taking action, working with team, while prioritizing work based on the changing demands.
- Curiosity and Drive: Demonstrates curiosity and drive to learn and contribute to the Wikimedia mission including open source values and application.
About the Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is the non-profit organization that operates Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Wikipedia and the other projects operated by the Wikimedia Foundation receive more than 431 million unique visitors per month, making them the 5th most popular web property worldwide. Available in more than 287 languages, Wikipedia contains more than 32 million articles contributed by a global volunteer community of more than 100,000 people. Based in San Francisco, California, the Wikimedia Foundation is an audited, 501(c)(3) charity that is funded primarily through donations and grants. The Wikimedia Foundation was created in 2003 to manage the operation of Wikipedia and its sister projects. It currently employs over 240 staff members. Wikimedia is supported by local chapter organizations in 40 countries or regions.
Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, massages, cooking classes and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues - international staff speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*for benefits eligible staff, benefits may vary by location