The UX team at Shopify creates tools that give even the most inexperienced entrepreneur the best chance to succeed. At the same time, we design solutions that help some of the world’s leading businesses manage enormous complexity. Our team is made up of over 300 Designers, Content Strategists, Researchers, and UX developers across 5 offices. While everyone at Shopify is responsible for building great experiences, our UX team has a special role in building understanding and empathy for merchants.
As a UX Ops Project Manager you will help to increase the impact of our UX team by reducing operational inefficiencies through the development and maintenance of smart defaults and systems. UX Ops Project Managers are hands-on, technically adept, thoughtful, and passionate problem solvers. They’re experts at organizational behaviour, facilitating change, and enabling our UX team to focus on making commerce better for everyone.
**We are open to hiring this role to any of our Canadian office locations including Toronto, Ottawa, Waterloo and Montreal (with a preference for Toronto or Ottawa).
You'll be working on:
- High-impact operational problems currently facing the UX team
- Project managing initiatives, programs, and projects that make great ideas happen
- Optimizing and improving our UX tools, infrastructure, governance strategies, programs, and workflows that support high quality processes, methods, and craft across our teams and offices
- Developing and maintaining key relationships with leaders across the UX organization
- Evaluating the effectiveness, iterating on, and organizing UX meetings, activities and meetups like design critiques, show and tells, team rituals, and more
- Curating content, supporting subject matter experts, and producing material for our internal education systems like our internal UX documentation, new hire onboarding, technical development programs, and more
- Helping with our internal communication efforts and advocating for our UX practices across different parts of Shopify and different offices
- Working with senior leadership to evaluate and identify opportunities to improve the UX team’s health across all of Shopify’s product lines and offices.
- Synchronizing operational efforts with other Ops Managers that support other disciplines, product lines, and teams.
The right person for this role will:
- Build for the long-term: you’ll work with the UX Ops team and the UX team to prioritize what problems to explore and address and work toward functional, impactful solutions that help our UX team today and in the future as we continue to scale and grow.
- Work collaboratively: you’ll design and develop support systems for the UX team based on collaborative decision-making. You’ll build strong working relationships with peers and stakeholders to create the best experience possible for the UX team.
- Be self-directed: Every day is different and we thrive on ambiguity. You’ll adapt to shifting approaches, situations, and priorities, and use your experience and judgement to create the best possible outcomes.
You'll need to have:
- Experience as a Programs Manager, Producer, or Project Manager
- Strong communication, engagement, consensus gathering skills
- Expert facilitation and coordination skills
- A deep understanding of large-scale organizational behaviour
- Strong project planning and management skills
- Strong coaching and teaching skills
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce, please submit your application and address your cover letter to James. The posting will be live until Friday, March 22 at 10AM.