SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
From release of a customer’s requirements through award of a contract, the SpaceX proposal editors manage the preparation and submittal of SpaceX’s bids for competitive business opportunities, usually launch services worth millions or hundreds of millions of dollars. In this role, you’ll prepare proposals that describe the features and benefits of SpaceX’s constantly evolving technology and launch services. You will manage authors from across SpaceX’s technical and business teams as they prepare text addressing specific customer needs. You’ll edit, rewrite and write technical and nontechnical text as necessary to prepare the most compelling possible proposals. You’ll also be responsible for the creation of clear, visually persuasive graphics and for the timely printing and delivery of a clean, error-free final product.
- Read, understand and communicate the highly complex requirements of new customer opportunities
- Draft proposal outlines
- Manage section authors from across the company, setting and enforcing deadlines and expectations
- Ensure proposals comply with customer instructions
- Edit and rewrite as necessary for clarity, logic and readability
- Work with technical and business staff to resolve open issues and questions about proposal text, figures and tables
- Guide documents through review and approval processes
- Fact-check information and flag technical errors
- Edit for spelling, grammar and punctuation
- Ensure documents conform to company format and editorial style
- Help identify and develop supporting graphics
- Prepare documents for print. Produce required copies and arrange delivery
- Improve and streamline the proposal development process
- Help maintain repository of frequently used proposal information
- Support Mission Management, Sales, and other SpaceX organizations with editing, writing, publication and communication
- Must have 5+ years of professional experience publishing documents and/or editing the work of others
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or English
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Experience with proposal or grant writing, preferably on government efforts
- Ability, or potential, to help implement proposal strategy
- Demonstrable editing skills at the organizational, structural, sentence, fact-checking and proofreading levels
- Experience writing captions or headlines
- Ability to turn strings of buzz words or jargon into coherent writing
- Strong grasp of language, including nuance and tone
- Demonstrated record of successfully planning and completing both short- and long-term projects on deadline
- Demonstrated leadership, influence and collaboration skills
- Demonstrated organizational skills and attention to detail
- High proficiency in the professional preparation of documents for publication in Microsoft Office (2007 or more recent), or 5 or more years of experience with a non-Office word processing program and desktop publishing software. (Assessments will be administered as part of the interview process.)
- Complete the online application
- Provide two writing samples of 500 words or more, each targeted at a different audience
- Provide a narrative summary of the founding, history and current technical capabilities of SpaceX, drawing only from publicly available sources of information. (Draft should be no more than one single-spaced page of text.)
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.