Come help us make drones part of everyday life.
We are looking for a Public Policy Manager or Senior Public Policy Manager based in Santa Monica. Our mission is to provide the low-altitude airspace management solution of the future, which will require communicating with legislators and regulators across the United States about the benefits of the drone economy, the positive impacts on towns, cities, and states, and share best practices from around the world. We want to arm policymakers with the tools to adopt policies that enable the future of drones.
To do this role effectively you must be able to build trust and talk to a variety of authorities, from townships to state houses, to help them understand the value of the drone opportunity, and engage them in the process of creating reasonable regulatory frameworks that enable the potential of unmanned aircraft.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about AirMap and drones, and have broad experience with campaign management on electoral and/or issue campaigns as well as exposure to local policy making and understanding the legal frameworks that animate state and local policymakers. The manager should excel at building narrative, applying online and offline organizing tactics, using internal and external data to make decisions, and conducting political network analysis to reach elected officials and key influencers as necessary. Candidates with a legal background and experience in a startup or other high-growth, fast-paced company will have an advantage.
This role will be based in Santa Monica. Salary commensurate with experience.
- Help develop and implement AirMap's legislative and public policy activities; including helping determine advocacy priorities, positions, and strategies.
- Work with legislative bodies and government agencies on AirMap's priority issues, advising stakeholders on language for legislation, drafting comments on administrative regulations, and authoring substantive issue briefs and position papers.
- Represent AirMap in coalitions and collaborations to advance AirMap's advocacy initiatives – building these coalitions from scratch if necessary.
- Manage consultants and marshall external resources to execute our plans.
- Maintain relationships with an extensive network of contacts in local, regional and national legislative, executive and administrative offices, as well as with allied groups and coalition partners.
- Engage in research, writing and other activities to provide analysis and critical thinking on developments affecting AirMap's priorities.
- Monitor legislation and regulatory matters and advise the company with respect to policy challenges.
- Represent AirMap in meetings with government and elected officials.
- Advise AirMap's teams on public policy matters to guide development of products, services and policies.
- At least 5 years experience working with law and policy issues in a relevant business or non-governmental organization, or in a political, governmental, legal or regulatory context (a mix of public and private sector experience is an advantage).
- Direct technology policy experience, which must include a track record of influencing regulation and legislation at some level of local government.
- Degree or advanced degree level in related field.
- First-rate personal, political, analytical and organizational skills.
- Ability to quickly get up to speed on complex technical and regulatory issues.
- Excellent communicator with great interpersonal and presentation skills, both for subject matter experts and the layperson.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and manage team to produce outcomes in a timely manner.
- Self starter with a sense of humor and the ability to thrive in a fast moving and sometimes stressful environment.