GumGum is a global technology and media company specializing in contextual intelligence. For over a decade, we have applied our proven machine learning expertise to extract value from digital content for the advertising industry. The company’s contextual advertising engine, Verity™, comprehends the meaning of text, images and video online, allowing marketers to safely and precisely place ads where people are most engaged. Combining that contextual targeting and brand safety intelligence with proprietary high-impact ad formats, GumGum’s advertising solutions deliver industry leading efficiency, accuracy and performance.
The Python Engineer is part of the Machine Learning Engineering team reporting to the Director of Engineering and works primarily on Reporting and Machine Learning pipelines. The role is responsible for the design of new systems as well as the maintenance of existing pipelines in a scalable and cost-effective manner. These systems include all aspects of the Verity technology stacks including Databricks Spark Streaming, DynamoDB, Java-based web service, AWS, Kafka, Redis in addition to interfacing with Python-based Computer Vision and Natural Language Processing software services.
This role is critical to the success of the Verity product due to its high complexity and scale. The person in this role must be strong in software architecture, data engineering, and AWS.
****Please note we are working from home until September 2021
System Design - System design and support of Machine Learning technology stacks including Computer Vision and Natural Language Processing
Scalability and Cost - Design systems with scalability and cost in mind
Reporting Capabilities - Develop and maintain Verity’s big data infrastructure to support Customer and KPI Reporting using technologies such as Kafka, Airflow, and Spark.
Data Structure - Become an expert with our complex data structures
Quality Assurance - Conduct design and code reviews
Continuous Learning - Keep abreast of developments in the field externally and develop any necessary internal training for the team
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- 3+ years of Software Engineering experience (Python)
- Preferably 1 year of Apache Spark Experience
- Experience with large scale distributed real-time systems with tools such as AWS, Spark, Kafka
- Familiar with various AWS services or containers
- Experience with high volume, high availability production systems
- Ability to design highly scalable machine learning systems in the cloud
- Deep knowledge of probability, statistics, and algorithms
- Expert ability to write robust code in Python, Java, or Scala
- Great communication skills to communicate with both technical and non-technical cross-functional team members and stakeholders
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive health, vision and dental benefits
- Healthcare including 100% coverage for Employee + Spouse/family
- Dependent care FSA
- Employer-matched 401(k) plan
- Stock incentive program (role dependent)
- Paid parental leave
- Goodly - student loan contribution plan
- WFH monthly stipend
- Anniversary recognition and awards
- Fitness reimbursement and wellness workshops
- Discounted Pet Health Program
- Flexible time off and work schedule
- Stocked kitchen & Everytable Smartfridge
- Dog-friendly HQ office - we love our fur babies! Check us out on Instagram @dogsofgumgum
- Incredible work/life balance with a collaborative and friendly work space
- GumGum Gives Back volunteering opportunities
- Team building lunches and events, and monthly company celebrations
- Virtual monthly team bonding events
Career & Development Focus
- Ongoing learning and development for education opportunities such as webinars, books, classes, relevant conferences and events
- Opportunities to pursue business related side projects and yearly Hackathon
- Highly encouraged to contribute to open source software, including our own open source software
- Environment of learning from peers, including meetups, presentations and blog posts
- Opportunity to work with cutting edge technology
- Life Skills sessions - geared towards the whole life/ health / person
- Leadership Bites Dinner Series - connecting current and future GumGum leaders over great food and meaningful conversation
Stride - our company council committee to share learnings, give updates and provide feedback to the company regarding initiatives and discussions around diversity, inclusion and equity.
Thoughtful…We listen to understand different perspectives, show everyone respect, and relentlessly seek solutions for our clients (internal and external)
Agility…We are quick, nimble, and change direction gracefully, while maintaining control.
Grit…We bring energy and perseverance to everything we do.
GumGum recently earned LA’s Best Places to Work Award in 2021 by BuiltInLA, and Inc. Magazine’s Best Places to Work in 2020 and it’s no surprise why. With company-sponsored social hours, annual holiday celebrations and on-site gatherings, GumGummers enjoy a fun, creative and collaborative workplace. We provide ourselves on our strong track record of giving employees the autonomy and support they need to succeed.
Check us out on Instagram: @gumgum