We’re looking for a backend engineer to come and join our team, to help us build upon and improve our product data pipeline that is responsible for ingesting 50k items a minute to our catalog of over 6million in stock products.
Lyst is a Global Fashion Search Platform which connects millions of shoppers globally with the world’s leading fashion designers and stores, giving them a simpler, more engaging buying experience.
Lyst itself is divided into tribes, then into smaller product-led teams. We work in a similar way to the Spotify model, having tribes that contain small multi-disciplinary teams that have all the skills they need to deliver the team goals.
Within Lyst, the Supply tribe is responsible for working with retailers. Within Supply, the Product Data team is directly responsible for collecting, processing, and cataloging the products offered by various retailers.
About Product Data:
- We maintain around ten or so services with a team of 6 engineers, 1 data scientist and our product manager
- We care about collecting metrics and graphing them to give us insights into pipeline operations
- We work mostly in Python3 using Django framework and protobuf/grpc to specify the APIs
- We use Docker and Empire for managing build and deployment
- We do continuous integration and moved a lot of our services to be continuously deployed too, which is exciting!
- We report to the VP of Engineering in Supply, who in turn reports to the Executive Team
- We work closely with other teams within Supply, and almost all of Lyst engineering uses our services
- We have 2 week sprints, use JIRA, and hold stand-ups on Slack
About the Role:
You will work within a small inclusive development team to help build upon existing systems and contribute to the on-going performance improvements of the whole product data pipeline.
Within the first three months, you will:
- Contribute to every part of our system, tests, documentation, as well as code and process
- Participate in Code Review on feature changes and confidently making changes (i.e with tests!) to our systems
- Participate in our Planning and Retrospective meetings where you will have direct input to the team
- Gain expertise over the tools and services we use: Python, Docker, CircleCI,, DynamoDB, PostgreSQL, etc.
This is a high trust, supportive and collaborative environment where you will have plenty of opportunities to really help make an impact to both your team and wider company. We value attitude as much as we do direct experiencen - we want to hire people to grow into the role and beyond.
- Contribute to an inclusive and positive working environment for everyone
- Being able to communicate clearly and be humble when sharing ideas with everyone on the team
- Caring that the code is readable by everyone, well tested and robust in production
- Have a curious mindset and actively want to learn
- An understanding of API design and how different components within a distributed architecture fit together
- Previous experience or a desire to work in, a product-led team
If you’ve programmed in a different language and not done Python before, that’s OK, knowing how to code is a transferable skill. There’s time to learn on the job and a supportive team will help you. We believe in having a curious mindset and your ability to learn to do the job, rather than a checklist of must haves.
- Working in a diverse and welcoming team
- Private Healthcare by Vitality - your health is important to us which is why we offer all employees a comprehensive healthcare scheme
- Company pension - up to 3% matching
- The Lyst Clothing Benefit. We're a fashion company so we'll give you £250 to spend on the site in Year 1, £500 in Year 2, £750 in Year 3 and £1000 from Year 4 onwards. You're going to look fantastic!
- Holidays - It's important you take time off! You get a total of 29 days & bank holidays
- Regular yoga classes, 5 a-side football and netball teams to encourage a healthy work / life balance
- Cycle to work scheme
- Childcare vouchers
- Season ticket loans
- Your conference tickets are paid for - we’re big on learning and development and encourage everyone to attend events. In fact we go further and all Lysters get £1,200 to spend on courses and training
- Team meet ups twice a month to share some of the interesting things we’re working on internally and externally