The Enviva team is driven by our shared vision for a renewable energy future. We are a fast-growing, purpose-driven, global energy company specializing in delivering sustainable wood bioenergy solutions. We are the world’s largest producer of sustainable wood pellets, which provide a low-carbon alternative to fossil fuels.
Enviva is a seeking a Controls Engineer to join Enviva’s Centers of Excellence (COE) engineering team. This individual must be a self-starter with an advanced understanding of PLC controls logic programming, and drive controls. This position will lead controls standardization, controls modification, hardware upgrades across the enterprise (multi-plant support). Successful candidate will be critical in helping identify process improvement opportunities and bring about process stability utilizing sound controls philosophy and timeliness of implementation.
- Interface with multi-plant operations to help with hands on troubleshooting (logically and in the field) and formulate/implement solutions via PLC programming and hardware
- Lead implementation of programming changes to maintain/increase uptime at the sites
- Participate in best practice sharing and standardization of controls and hardware changes from one plant to next
- Create and communicate Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) on new process controls solutions
- Keep up with and look for opportunities to implement latest technology development in controls industry
- Interpret and adhere to industry standards and regulatory codes
- Support other engineering projects with functional specification development and resource coordination to meet schedule and cost deliverables
- Support new plant design by reviewing and recommending appropriate changes to all areas of the I&C functionality.
- Lead and support projects through conceptual to commissioning and ramp.
- Support new plant builds over controls development, implementation, and startup.
- Ensure appropriate I&C procedures, design guidelines and design tools are utilized
- Interface with Operations, support reliability efforts by providing hands on and involved controls related technical support, training, and overall guidance to the plant operations
- Demonstrate discipline and rigor around documenting all changes using Enviva’s standard Management of Change (MOC) process
- Bachelor’s degree in an electrical / controls technical field, however, very significant experience in highly related field will be considered as a possible alternative
- 5 years of relevant experience in I&C work including but not limited to:
- Instrument specification and installation
- Communication Networking, Wiring/Loop Diagrams
- ControlLogix PLC architecture
- ControlLogix PLC configuration
- Panel Layouts, HMI Configuration
- Interlock and continuous control logic development
- Data Historian architecture and implementation
- FAT and commissioning of PLC/DCS system and including field instrumentation.
- Must be able to read/modify electrical schematics and be familiar with and able to program ControlLogix ladder logic, function block, and add on instructions
- Experience in Allen Bradley ControlLogix PLC, Plant PAX, and HMI programing software is a plus
- Proficient knowledge of electrical distribution and MCCs
- Experience in supporting a continuous manufacturing environment (pulp and paper mill or wood products experience is a plus)
- Must be data-driven and possess a high level of attention to detail
- Project management experience, including developing project scope, budgets and schedules.
- Thrives in a team environment, is a "self-starter" and "results oriented"
- Works well with other disciplines (IT, process engineering, maintenance) to fully understand manufacturing system functionality and design requirements
- Proactive regarding safety. Seeks to identify and correct potential safety or environmental issues before they occur
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint with the ability to learn other applications related to the job
- Must be able to meet passing requirements of Enviva’s standard Controls Engineer technical evaluation that will include both written and hands on portions
- Daily commuting to regional plants for 80% onsite work initially
- Overnight travel roughly 20%
- Roughly 80% onsite work, with 20% remote work with ability for remote work to increase slightly after onboarding period
Enviva is dedicated to the principles of equal employment opportunity (EEO) in any term, condition or privilege of employment. Enviva does not discriminate against applicants or employees on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, uniform service member, genetic information or any other status protected by law. Enviva complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which we operate.