Working at Boulder
Founded in 2017, Boulder Care is a digital clinic offering long-term support and treatment for substance use disorders. Collaborating across medical, behavioral, and psychosocial dimensions, Boulder’s dedicated Care Teams deliver evidence-based care and help participants work toward their individual goals.
Boulder's model is grounded in value. Through innovative partnerships with leading national health plans like Blue Cross Blue Shield, Boulder’s progressive payment arrangements realign incentives to reward outcomes and reduce total cost of care. We can unlock billions of dollars for the US health system by ensuring patients who are gravely underserved today have the opportunity to get well.
Backed by world-class investors like Qiming Venture Partners (US), Goodwater Capital, Laerdal Million Lives Fund, First Round Capital, Greycroft, Tusk Venture Partners and Gaingels, with $50M in funding, Boulder is in an exciting stage of rapid growth.
About the role
- This position is 100% remote
The Registered Nurse works directly with patients to deliver medication-assisted recovery for Substance Use Disorder (SUD) and empowers patients in their recovery journeys in coordination with the Care Team (primarily Clinicians, Care Advocates and Peer Recovery Specialists)
- This is a high-impact, patient-facing role, which involves delivering compassionate and empathetic telephonic, text-based, and video-based (telehealth) patient engagement and monitoring, assisted by Boulder clinical decision support tools and platforms
- As Boulder’s model is built on telemedicine, this role is unique in the autonomy and convenience that it offers compared to other Registered Nurse positions
Success in this role
- Provide support to patients within the Boulder application to ensure successful engagement and initiation of treatment
- Educate patients about addiction, medications, and available support services
- Educate patients on the Boulder model, SUDs and related comorbidities, recovery strategies, and safe use where necessary
- Elicit the patient’s goals for their recovery and help them in achieving these goals over time through a therapeutic alliance
- Coordinate with Clinicians to develop and oversee treatment plans, adjusting them as needed
- Collaborate with Boulder’s Technology and Operations teams to continuously improve our digital treatment platforms
- Access Prescription Drug Monitoring Program information, facilitate patient adherence monitoring protocols, for each assigned patient
- Assess progress, patient functioning, and stage in recovery; in collaboration with other care team members and the patient, develop and update treatment care plans for each individual
- Obtain and review drug testing results and recommend further testing as appropriate, guided by clinical decision support tools
- Collaborate with outside providers and community care agencies to maintain accurate and timely data exchanges between all organizations and individuals involved in patient care
- Assist with the management of patient appointments with other care team members and referrals outside of Boulder
- Report patient change in status (e.g. high risk for returning to use) and potential support services to prescribing clinicians in a timely manner
- Maintain an accurate and updated medical record of individual patient progress during all clinical interactions
- Maintain HIPAA and 42 CFR part II compliance and all levels of required patient confidentiality
- Identify and provide crisis intervention, within scope of practice
- Provide patient updates and outcomes reports to the prescribing provider in alignment with Boulder Care goals
Requirements for the role
- Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing
- Current RN licensure in OR, WA, CO, OH, or NC
- Has at least 1 year experience using MAT for patients with substance use disorder
- 3 years professional nursing experience with at least 1 year experience working with patients with Addiction, Hepatitis C, HIV, or related experience with similar patient populations is preferred. Candidates who are passionate about this work are encouraged to apply.
- Embrace a harm reduction philosophical approach to care
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Extraordinary customer service skills, computer skills and record keeping
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and prioritize based on severity of need, while working independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to achieve specified outcomes in collaboration with all members of the leadership team
- Demonstrates quality in clinical performance as evidenced by creativity in problem solving and interdisciplinary communications
- Ability to work collaboratively with medical staff including Clinicians, Care Advocates, Peers, Case Managers and colleagues in all aspects of care provision
- Experience in telehealth nursing
- Experience in office-based nursing
- Knowledge of adjunctive Opioid Use Disorder (OUD) treatment resources & referral processes
- Membership in a relevant professional nursing organization (e.g. International Nurses Society on Addiction) or specialty certification (e.g. CARN)
Expected hours of work:
This is a full-time position expected to work M-F. Team members may work with their managers to adjust work hours to suit the needs of the position. Team members may be asked to work additional days as work demands require.
The annual salary for this position is $90k
- Contribution to meaningful, life-saving work!
- "Take What You Need" PTO* (4 to 5 weeks)
- 12 weeks of 100% paid parental leave for the birth or adoption of a child
- 401(K) retirement savings
- Boulder Care pays 99% of monthly health coverage premiums for individual employee coverage
- Boulder Care pays 60% of monthly health coverage premiums for dependents.
- Mental health services including Doctors on Demand, EAP* and Tend Health
Boulder Care believes the people who manage our product and team should be representative of those who use the platform. This includes people from backgrounds that are historically underrepresented in the industry. We celebrate differences and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status. If you are a qualified person with a passion for what we do, please apply!