Help us build the next generation of global payments infrastructure!
Stripe provides tools that make it easier for businesses and entrepreneurs all over the world to grow. We work on some of the hardest technical, commercial, and regulatory problems around, and we're looking for a regulatory lawyer to join our amazing APAC Legal team, to be based in Tokyo. In this role you will work with talented people throughout the company, and will deal with a diverse set of matters that straddle financial services, business processes, and technology.
The ideal candidate is passionate about Stripe’s mission of helping businesses grow and thrive. We’re looking for someone who is a team player and willing to jump in on tasks of any size. Experience in technology, payments and financial services, and a working understanding of financial regulations is a plus but not required.
In this role you will:
- Counsel the Stripe product and business teams on a range of issues including payments and financial regulatory frameworks, market expansion, consumer protection, internet regulations, disputes (pre-litigation), data protection and other legal matters.
- Actively collaborate with a wide variety of teams at Stripe, including product, engineering, partnerships, compliance, and marketing, on a range of issues related to market expansion, regulatory compliance, product development and commercialization.
- Work closely with colleagues across Stripe’s global legal team to support Stripe's regulatory structure, strategic financial partnerships, and other legal matters.
- Help build scalable and effective processes for legal review and launch of products in new markets.
- Manage outside counsel across multiple jurisdictions to ensure timely and knowledgeable support of critical matters.
- Stay up-to-date with the support of Stripe’s legal subject matter experts on international laws and regulations dealing with privacy, data security, consumer protection, financial services, and marketing.
- Participate as a proactive business partner to senior managers and build a trusted advisor relationship.
To be considered for this role, you must have:
- A law degree.
- A minimum of 8 years combined relevant experience in a top law firm, government agency, and/or in-house legal team, preferably working on the legal and regulatory matters in the technology space.
- Business level fluency in English and Japanese.
- A passion for technology and ability to understand complex business models and product use cases quickly.
- Strong communication (both written and verbal).
- Experience working on cross-border matters and working across different cultures.
- Excellent project management skills, attention to detail, and ability to work under tight deadlines.
- Excellent judgment, ability to navigate ambiguity and evolving regulatory spaces, and provide practical, solutions-oriented legal advice.
- Be humble, curious about an evolving industry, and have a terrific sense of humor.
A resume and LinkedIn profile.