Kolonial.no is the leading online grocery retailer in Norway, but as a company we are first and foremost an ambitious tech and logistics company. We’re one of the fastest-growing startups in the Nordics, working with huge, complex challenges to make the lives of our customers simpler and easier. Few (if any) in the world have truly cracked the code for online grocery logistics — but we’re getting close and with high speed. Want to join us?
As a Reliability Engineer you will work mainly inside cross-functional product teams solving real-world problems, and will bring your expertise in instrumentation, monitoring, alerting, and scaling into the team, and thus carry an extra responsibility for systems reliability. That said, a major part of the role consists of supporting and empowering the team’s software engineers to build reliability into their systems and practices.
In recent weeks our reliability engineers have embedded into the Shop Platform in order to onboard our majestic monolith
Tienda onto our cloud platform. As this work concludes, we intend for this way of working to morph into a more classical SRE-style setup, as outlined by the responsibilities below. Scaling these efforts effectively up and into other teams as the larger engineering organization grows will be an important part of being a Reliability Engineer as the role is established in our organization.
What you'll do
- Help our teams build and operate systems efficiently and reliably, thereby enabling them to move fast over time in a sustainable fashion.
- Contribute to building and scaling a great DevSecOps culture.
- Help rearchitect and build resilient software systems for rapid scale in an ever-changing landscape.
- Cultivate a culture of observability by being a champion of instrumentation and monitoring.
- Combine DevSecOps responsibilities with contributing as a software engineer in our product teams.
- Participate in our on-call rotation to ensure critical systems are operating normally.
- Reliability Engineer is one of two roles within our infrastructure engineering area, the other being Platform Engineer. We encourage our engineers to move between these roles over time.
Who you are
- Have experience with Kubernetes and infrastructure-as-code (we use Terraform and Google Cloud Platform).
- Are a decent programmer, and enjoy building software (we use a lot of Python and some Golang).
- Have experience working with distributed systems, preferably at scale.
- Like to automate tasks and to continuously remove toil from processes and systems.
- Enjoy working with brilliant people of different backgrounds and specializations than yourself, solving real-world business problems.
- Continuously develop your skillset through feedback and learning, and enjoy sharing your knowledge with the people around you.
- Speak and write fluently in English.
What we offer
- Enthusiastic and ambitious colleagues that care about helping others
- A huge set of complex and exciting product & tech challenges
- Autonomy to form our path and focus going forward (we align via OKRs like Google, Twitter and Uber)
- A chance to form and build a tech company culture from the ground up
- A transparent workplace where tools like Quip and Slack helps us to stay in the loop - with less emails and meetings
- Good opportunities for personal development in a way that suits you, and a passion for employee engagement
- Encouragement to support and contribute to open source projects (like Django) or meetups within your discipline
- Hackathons, team off-sites, great lunch from our chef and a wide range of social activities
- Quiet team rooms for focus and open space for discussion - with a nice view overlooking Oslo
- Hands on experience with our logistic operation and customer experience
- The possibility to take stock in the success of the company
- Help with relocation to Norway
As a part of our team you will be working with other enthusiastic, skilled and ambitious people in shaping and growing tomorrow's shopping experience. Recognised as one of the hottest tech-startups in Norway by The Next Web
we are aiming to become world leading, and we invite you to join us on the journey. Come build the future with us!
Sounds like you or someone you know?