BuzzFeed News is seeking a general assignment reporter for its Global Breaking News desk. The reporter should be a news hound who is curious, aggressive, knows how to write stories that people want to read and share and eager to beat the competition for scoops. An interest in and experience with news video is a plus.
This job is based in our Los Angeles office and the hours are 2-10 pm. Sunday - Thursday.
- Keep up in a fast-paced and ambitious newsroom, jumping on assigned stories quickly and accurately and pitching original, interesting stories for a quick turnaround
- Finding scoops and exclusives out of general assignment and beat stories that move the news cycle and hold people and officials accountable
- Write and produce stories that people will want to read and share
- Develop a network of sources who will give BuzzFeed News a jump on news our readers are interested in
- Craft smart, appealing, and accurate headlines
- Be obsessed with figuring out what people are sharing and talking about online
- At least 3 years reporting or editing experience at a professional news organization
- Strong writing skills with ability to turn around story copy quickly
- Ability to work weekends and evenings
- Work well under pressure
- A genuine love for and excitement about the internet
- Ability to work independently, but experience being a team player
- Established social media presence and thorough understanding of the social web