Vox Media is one of the fastest growing media companies today, combining the best content, technology, and distribution capabilities to connect with an audience of 170 million people each month who rely on us for a modern, intelligent take on the world. Simply put, we create smart media brands for smart audiences.
Vox Media is eight distinct brands: Vox.com,The Verge, Re/code, SB Nation, Polygon, Eater, Racked, and Curbed.
The Revenue Accountant at Vox Media will be primarily responsible for collecting and interpreting the data necessary to ensure proper billing to our customers. This position reports to the Revenue Accounting Manager in our Finance group, and is a stakeholder in our monthly financial statement close and associated reporting process.
The ideal candidate will have a strong background in general ledger accounting at a growing company with a background in related US GAAP accounting, as well as excellent organizational and communication skills.
What you’ll do:
- Work directly with our sales team to ensure proper reporting access for open advertising campaigns
- Manage various data portals and pull together timely revenue reporting
- Analyze insertion orders and revenue reporting to determine proper monthly billing
- Create customer billing accounts, send invoices and prepare supporting schedules
- Work closely with our advertising operations and sales teams to resolve billing disputes
- Work with the Revenue Accounting Manager and other revenue accountants to document proper GAAP accounting interpretations of complex insertion orders and non-standard contracts
- Prepare accounting entries and reconciliations related to deferred revenue and advanced billing
- Support audit requests for areas of responsibility
- Identify areas for process improvements and update internal process documentation
- Perform special projects and analysis as needed
What you'll bring:
- Have a strong interest in the operating detail of new media or growth-stage companies
- Thrive in a fast-paced environment and have the ability to work under pressure while maintaining an emphasis on attention to detail and quality
- Like to develop and implement processes and are comfortable with change
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills are a must
- Want to develop skills outside of standard accounting work and enjoy special projects
- Believe no type of work is either below or above you. As a growing company with constantly increasing operational complexity, both rudimentary and highly complex tasks are performed by our entire team
- Are comfortable communicating with employees at all levels within an organization and interacting with customers
- Demonstrate integrity, respect, commitment to excellence, and collaboration skills
- Prefer a hard-working but casual, rewarding work atmosphere
Bonus points for:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting
- 1-3 years work experience in accounting, preferably at a “big four” auditing firm or large corporate accounting department
- Experience with general ledger accounting and the monthly close process
- An in-progress or completed CPA license
- High-level Excel, Power Point, and Google Apps skills
- Superior communications skills, with an ability to communicate financial information and concepts to non-finance colleagues
- High level of attention to detail, excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize demands and meet deadlines. This position requires the ability to manage vast amounts of detailed information; accuracy is paramount.
- A positive and open-minded attitude with the ability to adapt and be flexible in a changing environment
- Bonus points for experience with Salesforce, Financial Force, or working in an advertising based industry
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.