Inverse has an immediate opening for an experienced Science Editor to lead a team of talented journalists in their mission to tell stories that shape how Inverse’s millennial audience thinks about their life, their bodies, their environment, and the universe.
We’re looking for creative storyteller with a vision for how this vital part of Inverse DNA can mutate in interesting ways in 2020 and beyond. If you can explain how stories on embargoed academic research, riffs on the news from a scientific point of view, and enterprise reporting on science subcultures all fit together, you’re well on your way to this rewarding position.
The Science Editor reports to the Inverse Executive Editor.
- Lead science staff writers, editors, and interns.
- Set the tone for the science section with story ideas and feedback, every day.
- Determine which stories deserve additional resources, alongside the executive editor.
- Continue to make Inverse the go-to brand for voicey, entertaining science journalism.
- Develop science franchises and series with other senior leaders at Inverse and BDG.
- At least five years experience as an editor at a science or science-related publication.
- Experience building and managing an editorial calendar.
- Dozens of science news clips with your by-line.
- Sources you’re happy to share with your writers.
- Experience drawing new connections through reporting to tell a new story.
- The ability to stay organized for a team to help them hit deadlines and achieve goals.
- A record of mentoring young writers to help them be their best.
Inverse is a future-focused publication that crosses the spectrum of science and art, dedicated to substantial reporting and serious writing -- with occasional irreverence. We write about science, entertainment, and innovation with an authoritative, insightful voice that slices through the hype.
Bustle Digital Group (BDG) is one of today’s leading, global media companies with a portfolio of distinct digital and experiential brands that are shaping culture. Over 82 million readers turn to our brands - Bustle, Elite Daily, Flavorpill Media, Inverse, Mic, NYLON, Romper, The Outline, and The Zoe Report – to hear from a set of diverse voices around the issues and interests engaging the next generation. BDG is headquartered in New York City, with offices in Chicago, Los Angeles, and London