We are looking for an enthusiastic person who really loves technology and believes in Agile, to carry out a dual role of backend programmer and assist the Scrum Master in one of our teams and to help us to design and build a new generation of tools that will transform open-access publishing. By working at Frontiers you will play a key role in shaping the future of science and academic publishing. You will be joining a thriving company where your contribution will have an immediate effect on the way science is evolving.
You will work with a team that implements solutions in Microsoft .NET and Salesforce platforms, integrate different products with Salesforce and develop other Microsoft .NET transversal applications for the business needs of the company. You will work in a small team along with other talented developers, supported by QA and Product Owner roles. The team usually works in sprints of two weeks.
- Develop small, well crafted components that plug into our data processing pipeline.
- You have experience working with Web Services, REST APIs and .NET.
- Write scalable SQL queries that impact millions of rows while keeping execution time low.
- Develop APIs that expose data and services to the rest of the company.
- Collaborate with data scientists and machine learning experts in order to tackle challenging problems in a scalable way.
- Assist the Scrum Master in guiding and supporting the team to improve its working routine and deliver results using an Agile approach.
- Improving the skills of the team as a group and individually.
- Removing interruptions and impediments to allow the team to be focused on their daily work.
- You have experience coaching teams and keeping them motivated.
- Building a trusting and safe environment where problems can be raised without fear of blame, retribution, or being judged, with an emphasis on healing and problem-solving.
- Helping flush out requirements before they reach the team.
- Able to discuss and negotiate with Product Owners.
- Helping to define clear goals for the team.
- Assisting with internal and external communication, improving transparency.
As a first thing in the morning, you make sure that the daily stand-up meeting (and any other scrum ceremonies) takes place. During the meeting, you are able to identify all the possible blockers or impediments that the team might find and you coordinate with the Technical Lead on how to remove them. You make sure that everyone has everything they need to work on their tasks and keep an eye on how the workload has been distributed. You help the team with the user stories of the current sprint and by programming the tasks assigned to you as developer. In the afternoon, you attend meetings with other team’s Scrum Masters, Product Owner and stakeholders, where new projects and requirements are reviewed. You need to keep other teams informed on what your team is working on, since collaboration and knowledge sharing is a core strength of all teams at Frontiers. Time flies and it's time to head out, you are happy with the progress you made.
- You are willing to develop as Scrum Master.
- At least 2 years of experience working in Scrum teams. Experience as Scrum Master is a plus.
- You have experience coaching teams and individuals.
- You have good skills and knowledge of facilitation, situational awareness, conflict resolution, continual improvement, empowerment, and increasing transparency.
- You know what the team needs in order to achieve the Sprint goal.
- You are eager to learn and you are always up to date on Agile and new technologies.
- You are curious and love to learn and try out new things.
- Knowledgeable in development methods, best practices, conventions, algorithms and design patterns.
- You are eager to work with technologies like Docker, Azure data factory, Azure Batch.
- You are not afraid to fail fast and learn from mistakes.
- You are willing to Travel to the Frontiers' headquarters in Switzerland occasionally.
- You have good English skills.
- Competitive salary.
- 25 leave days.
- Great work-life balance.
- An office in an awesome location.
- Fresh fruit, snacks and coffee.
- English classes.
- Flexible retribution scheme (nursery cheques, restaurant pass).
- Team building/sport activities and monthly social events.
- Lots of opportunities to work with exciting technologies and solve challenging problems.
How to apply
Please submit your application in English.
Applicants must be Spanish or EU citizen, or have a valid Spanish work permit.
Agencies must first contact [email protected] and confirm agreement to our T&C’s, failing which any exclusivity and/or candidate representation right will be considered to be waived.