Sustainable Economic Enterprises of Los Angeles (SEE-LA) is a non-profit 501c(3) organization that operates six Certified Farmers’ Markets in the metropolitan Los Angeles area. SEE-LA also is a statewide leader in the SNAP/EBT, WIC and Market Match benefit and incetive programs which provide opportunity for low-income customers to purchase the freshest fruits and vegetables available at local farmers’ markets. SEE-LA has experienced tremendous growth in recent years through expansion of its Champions for Change/Pompea Smith Good Cooking Buena Cocina Nutrition Education program in partnership with the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health.
The mission of SEE-LA is to build sustainable food systems and promote social and cultural activities that benefit both low-to-moderate income residents of Los Angeles while also supporting California small- and mid-sized farms and local small businesses. SEE-LA’s current fiscal year operating budget is approximately $5.5M, with administrative offices in Hollywood and a staff of 31 employees.
In partnership with the Board of Directors, the Executive Director will provide leadership and strategy for the development and achievement of SEE-LA’s mission. As a visionary, the Executive Director will develop new and innovative plans for strategic planning, fund development, staff development, annual budgeting, and leading a culture based upon DEI principles and practices. The Executive Director is also tasked with identifying new programs and initiatives to enhance the agency and further its impact in the community. In addition to providing organizational leadership, the Executive Director must excel at working with a myriad of funders, as well as many community stakeholders.
- Oversee and manage all of SEE-LA’s programs, projects and commitments to ensure successful implementation of its strategic plan
- Work with the Director of Farmers’ Market Operations to ensure that each program and farmers’ market has the necessary resources to function efficiently
- Lead organization-wide team and culture-building that is rooted in relationships and organizational core values
- Serve as a non-voting member of the SEE-LA Board of Directors and support Board development and administration
- Ensure Board members are kept up to date on the current status of the organization, and advise Board on all pertinent strategies, resolutions and issues of importance
- Stay informed of new industry developments and trends in order to create a strategic vision that supports growth and relevance of SEE-LA in the greater community
- In collaboration with Board and staff, develop and drive the strategic plan and take the lead role in its implementation
Operations & Management
- Assume fiduciary responsibility of managing SEE-LA’s annual operating budget to ensure fiscal solvency and develop a long-term plan to maintain financial sustainability
- Prepare the annual budget in conjunction with the Board and ultimate budget approval by the Board and ensure the staff adhere to the approved budget
- Facilitate agency annual audit(s) and tax filings
- Strive to improve staff morale and culture, updating operations, policies, processes and organizational practices to create a space where staff want to work and feel valued.
- Work in a collaborative and cooperative manner many various SEE-LA stakeholder groups of divergent backgrounds, including funders, community representatives, political figures and government officials, farmers, artisans and local businesses
- Manage and oversee all fund development efforts of SEE-LA, including planning, strategies, and implementation, as well as determining the financial needs of the organization
- Oversee foundation grants and government contract procurement, implementation and compliance
- Monitor current and future revenue streams including individual donations and grants as well as annual fundraising event productions and goals
- Create and cultivate relationships with new donors and prospective Board members
Marketing & Public Relations
- Serve as chief spokesperson for SEE-LA
- Initiate, develop and maintain cooperative relationships with a broad range of key constituencies
- Raise awareness for SEE-LA, building brand and increasing visibility, through the creation of a communications and marketing strategy
- At least 5-7 years of successful leadership experience in a nonprofit organization working with nonprofit boards and members of myriad backgrounds, interests and financial resources
- Excellent written and oral communication skills to effectively communicate the organization’s mission, vision and accomplishments to multiple audiences
- Demonstrated knowledge and skill in financial management of a multifaceted non-profit organization
- Experience leading programs based upon core values that are consistent with justice, equity, diversity and inclusion.
- Demonstrated success in creating and implementing a strategic plan
- Experience with government contracts, compliance and reporting
- Proven success in fund development with foundations, individual donors and special events
- Ability to use interpersonal skills to build strong relationships with potential funders, board members internal and external stakeholders
- Experience building strong, collaborative, people-focused, equity-centered, values-based organizational culture and structures
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills building strong, collaborative, equity-centered, values-based organizational culture, as well as trusting relationships with a variety of external stakeholders
- Strong public speaker with excellent writing skills to effectively communicate the organization’s mission, vision and accomplishments to donors, partners, volunteers, and the general community
- Ability to work in a variety of community-based settings with individuals from various races, backgrounds, cultures, political and religious views.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Salary range for this position is $125,000-$150,000, depending on qualifications and experience. SEE-LA offers health benefits (medical and dental), vacation and holiday pay.
SEE-LA is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating a diverse and equitable work environment and we strongly encourage you to apply if you are part of the BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and people of color) and/or LGBTQIA community, are differently abled, a veteran, or are of diverse nationality or religion.
SEE-LA expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.
Envision Consulting was retained by SEE-LA to conduct the search for their incoming Executive Director.
Applicants needing accommodation for any part of the application process may contact Envision Consulting at 626.889.7905 to request and arrange for assistance.