Seeds Data Manager
Proudly Farmers First℠!
What do you get when you cross the best of Silicon Valley innovation and technology with the value driven mission of Family Farmers around the world?
Farmers Business Network, Inc. (FBN℠)!
FBN℠ was created by farmers for farmers and is on a mission to power the prosperity of Family Farmers around the world by leveling the playing field through insights, commerce and community. Our goal is to enable them to make smart business decisions that maximize their farms profit potential for generations to come, helping to ensure the fundamental economic viability and sustainability of family farms and rural communities.
We are a dynamic, and innovative AgTech company that offers competitive compensation and benefits and is backed by top investors including Google Ventures, Kleiner Perkins, DBL Partners, T Rowe Price and Temasek.
As the Seeds Data Manager, you will be responsible for defining the strategy and administration of the phenotypic and molecular marker databases to ensure a high level of data integrity throughout the breeding pipeline. The successful candidate should be highly organized, have a strong background in seed research with a passion for data management. The selected applicant should be comfortable and willing to assist in the coordination and collection of both phenotypic and molecular data.
This role will be an a highly integral member of seeds team by ensuring the highest quality data drives the advancement of new products into the commercial portfolio.
- Act as the subject matter expert for the FBN breeding management system
- Provide expertise and leadership in Data curation and governance
- Ensure adherence to standard operating procedures as they relate to the acquisition and storage of phenotypic and molecular marker data
- Be a process expert on data collection tools and workflows
- Trouble-shoot user issues and interact with other colleagues in breeding, data science and IT to resolve issues.
- Plan and conduct training for the breeding management database and other data management tools
- Act as the primary liaison with IT as it relates to seeds data management systems
- Coordinate the sampling and collection of phenotypic and molecular marker data
- Support implementation of Seeds data management initiatives and projects.
- Collaborate with data science and breeding teams on the development and implementation of new workflows, tools and analysis strategies
- Other duties as required
Qualifications and Skills
- BS with 5+ years’ experience or MS with 2+ years’ experience in Plant Breeding, Agronomy, or another related field
- Experience with plant breeding data platforms such as PRISM or other equivalent systems.
- Experience with material tracking systems such as LIMS or SAP
- Experience managing seed inventories, creating trials or other similar functions
- Excellent written/oral communication skills
- Ability to work in cross-functional teams and collaborate with other researches
- Ability to adapt quickly and creatively to identify solutions when challenges arise.
- Strong organizational skills and detail oriented
- Broad understanding of the operational and logistical aspects of running a plant breeding program
- Ability to travel as required for company meetings
- Hands on experience in a plant breeding program such as managing corn breeding nurseries or yield trials
- Experience in genotyping labs or greenhouse. Knowledge of plant sampling and genotyping protocols
- Basic data analysis skills in R
- Field Phenotyping experience