Reports To: Insurance Accounting Manager (Spinnaker)
Hippo is modernizing home insurance by putting customers at the center of everything we do. We strive to provide them with nothing less than the best policies, best value and best customer service in the industry. And as if that wasn’t enough, it’s really just the beginning. Hippo’s true ambition lies in helping prevent people from having problems with their homes to begin with. Because, at the end of the day, the best home insurance policy is the one you never have to use.
In this light, as of September 1, 2020, Hippo and Spinnaker Insurance have joined forces to build a whole new type of insurance company – forging a new path in the insurance industry.
Based in New Jersey, Spinnaker is a national property and casualty insurance company rated A- by A.M. Best Company; and is a wholly owned and independently operated subsidiary of Hippo Insurance. With the capability to offer admitted insurance products in 50 states and jurisdictions, Spinnaker utilizes program administrators and managing general agents to access niche markets, focusing on personal lines, specialty lines, and fronted opportunities.
About This Role
We are looking for a Senior Accountant, working in a fast-paced cross-functional capacity. You will work closely with the Company’s Finance, Underwriting, and Claims teams and be exposed to all facets of an insurance company’s operations.
- Self-motivated and directed; ability to collaborate is a must, but you will be autonomous and expected to succeed without heavy direction
- Strong intellectual curiosity and a desire to help others solve problems
- Flexible and willing to do what is needed to get great work done
- A natural inclination to work within a culture that is fast-paced and dynamic
- Work collaboratively with cross functional departments to improve financial reporting and provide support to the business.
- Perform key tasks in the GAAP and Statutory financial statement close process in accordance with the monthly, quarterly, and year-end close calendar in coordination with Spinnaker, Hippo, and external consultants for multiple subsidiaries.
- Perform significant tasks in the financial reporting process. Prepare, review, and/or approve monthly journal entries.
- Work proactively with underwriters, claims, program administrators, reinsurance brokers, and reinsurers to resolve reconciling items in a timely manner.
- Prepare and review quarterly and annual statutory schedules such as schedule T, state pages and schedule P.
- Research technical GAAP and Statutory accounting literature: prepare accounting position memos and policies and prepare and maintain standard operating procedures.
- Involved in data warehouse system deployment. Reconcile and analyze related data and transactions to source systems.
- Establish and maintain positive relationships with third parties including reinsurance partners, program administrators and managing general agents, third party vendors.
- Perform financial compliance duties associated with annual and ongoing filing processes across 50 states.
- Assist on special projects and other duties as assigned by management.
- Identify and follow best practices to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of the accounting and financial reporting function.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or finance
- 3+ years in the property & casualty insurance industry
- 3+ years in finance and accounting roles
- Experience working with Managing General Agents, Program Administrators, and Claims Third Party Administrators
- Understanding of insurance financial operations including underwriting, claims, and reinsurance is preferred
- Knowledge of US Statutory & US GAAP accounting principles
- Advanced Excel skills and experience with financial reporting systems
- Experience with accessing data from databases
- Experience with Eagle Wings and NetSuite (preferred but not required)
Compensation and Perks
- Fast-paced, close-knit, office located in Bedminster, NJ
- Flexible, uncapped PTO (with manager approval)
- Full time salary based on experience and equity in a fast-growing startup
- Competitive benefits including medical, dental, vision, ltd, std, EAP, and flexible spending accounts
- Fun, start-up environment -- casual dress, events, etc.
Spinnaker is a wholly owned, but independently operated subsidiary of Hippo Insurance.
Hippo is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion.
Hippo’s applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to an applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Hippo applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Hippo’s People Team to make the need for an accommodation known.