BenchSci's vision is to help scientists bring novel medicine to patients 50% faster by 2025. We do this by empowering scientists to run more successful experiments with the world's most advanced, easy to use biomedical artificial intelligence software platform, thereby avoiding delays that slow the progress of medicine to clinical trials. Backed by F-Prime, Inovia, Golden Ventures, and Google's AI fund, Gradient Ventures, we provide an indispensable tool for more than 41,000 scientists that accelerates research at 15 top 20 pharmaceutical companies and over 4,300 leading academic centers. We're a CIX Top 10 Growth company, certified Great Place to Work®, and top-ranked company on Glassdoor.
We are looking for a Senior Accounting Analyst to join our Finance Team. You will report to the Controller.
- Perform full cycle accounting functions and post daily accounting transactions.
- Prepare and post complex accounting transactions including leases, deferred revenue, and equity investments.
- Manage reconciliations of key general ledger accounts including cash, investments, accrued liabilities, prepaid assets and deferred revenue.
- Contribute to treasury analysis preparing semi-monthly cash management reports, reconciling aging reports and preparing/reviewing vendor payments.
- Prepare key components and supporting working papers within the month-end close including processing period and year-end journal entries.
- Help prepare various monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports as required for internal and external stakeholders including legal entity and consolidated financial statements.
- Ensure compliance of accounting transactions with local accounting standards, tax and legal requirements.
- Help execute external financial audits including the preparation of auditor requests, drafting accounting memos and preparing support for note disclosures.
- Contribute to the design and implementation of key operational/financial controls, which allow the company to scale and mitigate fraud or misuse of company resources.
- Review existing accounting procedures and policies to identify and recommend improvements.
- Support budget and financial reporting package preparation to be presented to the Finance team and company leadership.
- Help provide schedules and insight for financial forecasts, KPIs, operating results and variances.
- Coordinate all quarterly Sales Tax reconciliations and remittances to applicable government authority.
- Collaborate with the Finance team in all accounting activities.
- Facilitate and lead key accounting projects as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance.
- 3+ years of experience in an Accounting role.
- An understanding of full cycle accounting and bookkeeping as well as strong knowledge of Finance and Accounting concepts.
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills with an emphasis on proficiency with lookups and pivots.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google G-suite products.
- Financial statement preparation experience, including income statement, balance sheet and cash flow.
- Experience working within accounting systems including posting modules, general ledgers, financial statement exports and reports.
- An “ownership” mindset, with the capacity to learn new tools quickly, identify and propose solutions to resolve challenges independently or as part of a team.
- An understanding of the value of keeping priorities in order and building processes and systems that are easy to understand.
- The ability to excel in a team-based environment, recognizing you cannot succeed working in a silo and understand the importance of establishing solid relationships across teams.
- Experience managing time and priorities with a skill for regularly revisiting priorities based on importance to ensure effective timely delivery.
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation is a nice to have, but not mandatory.
Our benefits and perks:
- A compensation package that includes equity options
- An annual Executive Health Assessment at Medcan (everyone gets the "executive treatment")
- Effectiveness coaching for managers: Onsite, personalized coaching from an executive coach with a doctorate in clinical psychology
- Mental health support including mindfulness sessions and a free Headspace account
- Complimentary genome sequencing from 23andMe
- Three weeks of vacation, plus another week (we're closed Dec 25-Jan 1)
- Additional days off such as BenchSci summer day, your birthday, and more.
- Work from anywhere flexibility. Every day right now, and up to 4 days per week once we return to the office
- An onsite gym to keep fit with a Peloton and other great equipment
- A great benefits package including health, dental and vision care.
Here at BenchSci, these are our core values:
Focused: We focus on what will drive the greatest impact at all times.
Advancement: We believe in continuous growth, and discovering new ways to do things better. This applies to our product and business, but also to ourselves.
Speed: We recognize that without a sense of urgency, our team, our product and our mission lose their value.
Tenacity: What we’re trying to do isn’t easy, but we hire the best people, and give them the autonomy, tools, and resources to succeed. The hard work is up to them.
Transparency: We believe that sharing diverse ideas and information creates strong teams. Our success stems from research, collaboration, feedback, and trust.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion:
BenchSci is committed to creating an inclusive environment where people from all backgrounds can thrive. The work and commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion is our collective responsibility. That fundamental belief will guide us along our diversity, equity, and inclusion journey. We are just at the beginning, we will experience moments of discomfort and we may stumble along the way but we are committed to continuously improving and creating equitable and systemic change.
BenchSci provides accessibility accommodations during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.