theScore, a wholly-owned subsidiary of PENN Entertainment , empowers millions of sports fans through its digital media and sports betting products. Its media app ‘theScore’ is one of the most popular in North America, delivering fans highly personalized live scores, news, stats, and betting information from their favorite teams, leagues, and players. theScore’s sports betting app ‘theScore Bet Sportsbook & Casino’ delivers an immersive and holistic mobile sports betting and iCasino experience. theScore Bet is currently live in the Company's home province of Ontario. theScore also creates and distributes innovative digital content through its web, social and esports platforms.
About the Role & Team
Join our dynamic Content team at theScore and play a key role in shaping the future of sports news. Our mission is to provide the most comprehensive and engaging sports news experience for our users by leveraging cutting-edge technology and delivering real-time, accurate and personalized content. As an engineer on our team, you’ll work on meaningful and challenging projects to develop and enhance our flagship news feed feature, used by millions of fans across the United States and Canada. We foster a culture of innovation, collaboration and continuous improvement where each team member can learn, grow and make an impact.
About the Work
As a key member of our Content team you will:
- Work with the product team to design, architect, and ship our amazing applications.
- Implement polished user interfaces with the help of our design team.
- Improve our code through refactoring and applying modern design patterns.
- Work with other engineers through technical collaboration, discussion, and code review.
- Solve difficult problems related to large data sets and responsive UIs.
- Help our QA team to automate testing and continuous integration.
- Keep up to date with the latest advances in Android development.
- Other duties as required
- Demonstrates significant technical expertise while working independently and in collaboration with others
- Mentoring team members
- Assist with recruiting and hiring of team members
- 5+ years experience with Kotlin (our apps are 100% Kotlin)
- 6+ years experience in commercial Native Android development
- Experience writing unit tests (jUnit, Mockito, Robolectric)
- Experience developing pixel-perfect user interfaces.
- Experience creating custom UI elements and creating a rich, interactive UX
- Experience working with JetPack Components.
- Experience with dependency injection frameworks (Koin, Dagger, Hilt)
- Solid understanding of modern software architectures (MVVM)
- Knowledge of mobile network communication (okHttp, retrofit, Apollo GraphQL)
- Experience integrating APIs and back-end services with mobile applications.
Highly proficient with profiling, troubleshooting and optimizing app performance
- A demonstrated ability in delivering clean, organized, testable, and highly performant code.
- Experience working with Git.
- Experience working with large native code bases with significant complexity.
- Solid knowledge of object-oriented design, software development principles, and design patterns.
- Solid knowledge of concurrency best practices and pitfalls.
- Experience in mobile DevOps, CI/CD (GitHub Actions, Jenkins, CircleCI, TravisCI)
- A degree in Computer Science, Engineering, and/or equivalent experience.
- A passion for sports and/or gaming is considered an asset.
- Desired Skills: Git, AndroidX, Android Architecture Components, Kotlin, Coroutines, Dependency Injections(Koin), JUnit, Robolectric, MVVM, retrofit2, OkHttp, GraphQL
What We Offer
- Competitive compensation package.
- Fun, relaxed work environment.
- Education and conference reimbursements.
- Parental leave top up.
- Opportunities for career progression and mentoring others.
theScore is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability or age.